• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

130 dollar cpu easily overclocked to exceed a 1000 dollar cpu!!!!

Started by halokid, May 12, 2006, 17:33 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

halokid

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

Bert T?pelt, Daniel Schuhmann, Frank V?lkel

May 10, 2006 10:00

A Budget CPU At Top Speeds

Killer Benchmarks From A Budget CPU At Top Speeds

"There are still some situations in life that are guaranteed to put a grin on anyone's face, even hard-boiled technical skeptics like us. This particular story borders on being a sensation unmatched in our last eight years of hardware reviews. The news, for those who just can't stand the wait any more, is this: Intel has offered a budget Pentium as part of its processor line-up for a little while now. With a simple modification, however, this CPU can outperform every top-of-the-line processor around.

The bottom line is that the Athlon FX-60 and the Pentium Extreme Edition 965 have both met their match - there's simply no escaping this conclusion! This is bound to cause lamentation among the elite circle of users who've invested big bucks in their high-end systems, if not outright wailing and rending of garments. The basic stats for this insignificant-seeming budget processor read as follows: Pentium D 805 clocked at 2.66 GHz, equipped with two processor cores both with 64 bit support. At your friendly neighborhood retailer you can pick up this secret weapon for pocket change - right now, for example, it's available at newegg.com for just under $130. We were quite amazed as the first performance figures emerged from our test labs: stable operation was possible at 4.1 GHz, and without even the need for substantial boosts to cooling!"

I will be possibly getting this cpu. If i do I will poast the results without water cooling so i wont reach the 4.0ghz barrier most likely

Carskick

This is not too surprizing. The Athlon 64 3000+ venice core could reach 2.6Ghz with a stock cooler with the right motherboards, where it would ouperform the FX-55 of the time. That was a 45% clock speed increace. Going to 4Ghz from 2.8 is a 42% clock speed increace, so they are relatively similar. What surprizes me is that it is from Intel. AMD has lagged behind with their 3800+ still costing nearly $300, Intel can easily dominate the market for cheap Dual Core CPUs. This is going to make even die hard AMD fans think twice before buying their cheap CPU for a multi tasking machine. When it comes to mutli tasking, a A64 3200+ will be dominated by a 2.8Ghz Pentium D. For gaming, the A64 is still far ahead, and the A64 is just as overclockable as the Pentium D. In the test, the Intel had to be at 3.8Ghz to keep up with the Athlon X2 3800+, but not always. For the price, the CPU is hard to beat.

Some factors such as heat and power consumption prevent the Pentium D from seeming like an obvious choice over AMD. However, AMD listen up! You need to either make a cheaper Dual Core CPU or bring down the price of the X2 3800+! Dual core is double the price of single core. Intel is only costing about 50% more than their single cores. This won't work.

Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

freelance

i agree! its shocking the way that the 'expensive' intel are becoming not so expensive again. gawld, i remeber thoughts (less than a year ago) which contained 'when hell freezes over ill buy....)

well i rung the devil up earlier, and he says its getting a bit chilly.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Igloo

It is nice.

But my AMD x2 4400 has been cranked to a nice 3.2 ghz on air. with room to go higher if i water cooled or upped fans to max speed, (it was at around 38oC under load)

(was running at about half their speed on Cool n Quiet after being under load for around an hour).

So thats a total of 6ghz with 1mb cache. MMMMMmmmm power :D

But those Intel chips do seem nice.

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Chandler

I'd be more impressed if it wasn't for that fact that it consumes more power than AMD's high-end dual core, even at stock speeds.