• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

17" TFT Monitors - Definately This Time :)

Started by Chandler, December 01, 2004, 12:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

I've been wanting to replace my 17" CRT monitor with a TFT for some time.  At work I've got a new Samsung Syncmaster 910N which gives a brilliant image, and I have no problems using it all day, unlike a CRT which is leaving my eyes tired and unable to focus on things (not good!  ::))

I'd really like to get a 19" but I get the impression that I'm better off going for an expensive 17" than a cheap 19".

The 910N (19") is brilliant, and anything of that quality suits me:
- Brightness 250cd/mA2
- Contrast Ratio 800:1
- Viewing angle 170/170
- Response time 25ms
- 16.2m colours

The things that impress me the most about that panel (in real life, not on paper), and are important to me are:
- Viewing angle (doesn't go negative like my laptop panel)
- Blacks are pretty much black
- Very uniform brightness
- Extremely good quality upscaling (in fact the Windows 2000 boot screen looks nicer than on my CRT)
- Accepts 75Hz input (better for PAL deinterlacing than 60Hz)

If I can get those qualities in a 17" I'd be happy (I may just end up getting the 910N though).  The 910N only has VGA input (no DVI) and the default settings looked a little crappy, but after spending 15 minutes or so tweaking them so that the pixels line up with the graphics card output it is pin-sharp, so I'm not fussed about DVI.

Something I found out today while googling is that most panels offer 16.2m colours rather than 16.7m.  Further reading also revealed that it's really 18-bit colour (256K) with dithering.  Now, the 910N does this, but until I read this I hadn't noticed.  My laptop on the other hand is 18-bit and I notice it right away - especially on the Windows XP toolbars and on video playback (which is important).  Does anyone have any comments on this?

wonderings

I am using a Samsung 172x TFT 17 inch LCD and its an incredible and stylish LCD. With both DVI and VGA connections. The picture quality is excellent, and its incredibly slim. I would highly recommend that LCD, you wont be dissapointed.
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

Chandler

Well if a Mac user is happy with it then it must be a good monitor - you people are pretty choosy  ;D  (oops was that a non-diverse statement; discriminating Mac users by calling them "you people")

I read a group test on Tom's Hardware on Saturday morning, but the site appears to be down; can anyone else access it, or should I have a go at my ISP again for innaccessible sites?

wonderings

You speak the truth Chandler. I am a proud mac user, and incredibly picky about what I use. But of the reviews I had read before I bought the LCD, I only read good things. And as a added bonus, it really matches my Dual G5.
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

Chandler

Merry Xmas!

My Mum and Dad bought me a fantastic Samsung 710N for Christmas.  It is even better than the 910N I use at work.

I've got it hooked up through a KVM switch and the quality is still fantastic.  It is so good to not have to close the window blinds and bump up the gamma to be able to see anything.

Games play great on it, without any blurring, and Digital TV looks awesome (so much so I'm probably going to get rid of my TV to free up some space in my room).

I didn't even have to tweak any of it's settings - it got everything spot-on with Automatic setup.  This European model has the Pivot and Tilt base.

Neon

Congrats Chandler,

That's a very nice gift indeed!
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

scuzzy

Great gift, Chandler. Merry Christmas indeed.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Igloo

i was going to recogmend my lg flatron L17710B

but congrats anyway on your new pressie ;D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Whizbang

Great "mum" and dad too.  ;)  The Sony LCD monitor my wife bought me also relieves my eye strain.  At least the KDS CRT was in working condition when I delivered it too the Salvation Army pickup dock.  I hate to give broken stuff.