• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

How do I know which dvd to burn?????

Started by ingeborgdot, November 23, 2003, 09:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I am planning on buying a plextor 708a because of the ratings it has received and because it burns all the formats.  My question is I am planning on burning some dvds from vcr sources of family for a gift but how do I know which dvd to use for them?  Should I ask for the make of their dvd player or what?  What is the most common dvd??  Thanks.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Tranquility_Base

If they're gonna watch it on their own DVD-ROM u should ask them which formats their drive supports. There's DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. Download a utility called Nero Info-tool to get detailed info on the drive and what DVD formats it supports. Usually u can also read the specs for the formats on the front of the drive, but u have the Nero tool to help u out.
DVD-RW was the only format that was available andwas supported by Compaq, Apple and Pioneer, before the DVD+RW alliance was formed including Dell, HP, Sony, Phillips, Thomson, Yamaha, Ricoh and Verbatim. Thheres also the DVD-RAM format which also lets u burn data on both sides the disc.

ingeborgdot

It's going to be played on the family dvd players.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Tranquility_Base

So check their format which should be with the documentation or on the front of the front of the player.

ingeborgdot

I guess that would be easy enough.  Thanks.

Tranquility_Base

No problem. As I said, if u want to do tht for a computer based DVD-ROm, the best tool to check the drive compatibility would be Nero info tool at www.nero.com

query

DVD+R is the closest thing to a universal disc - most players can read them.

Many players cannot read DVD-R, and even fewer (mostly the newest ones) can read DVD-RW/+RW.

iansl

I've got the HP 300c DVD Wirter. Does it really burn at 8x, and when and where can I get 8x discs, and for how much?
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone