• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Upgrade or clean install with vista?

Started by ingeborgdot, January 24, 2007, 14:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ingeborgdot

I know what most people think should be done but as I have read vista upgrade is completely different than the old versions of windows.  It totally cleans out everything and gives you a clean install.  Does anyone care to comment on this.  It takes a lot longer to do the upgrade but in the long run it would save me at least 12 or more hours of reinstalling all the software on my computer.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Mark H

You can do it as an upgrade, but I always recommend a clean install. Much better in the long run.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

I tend to agree with Mark, but I admit that I don't know if Vista does an upgrade any better than previous Windows products.

Personally, I plan to stay away from Vista as much as possible. I am strongly considering moving over to Apple, because I'm sick and tired of Microsoft. I'm also stunned by the prices for Vista. I thought Windows XP was ridiculously overpriced, but XP prices are nothing compared to Vista. At this point, I'm not willing to play with Microsoft anymore.

Honestly, I've had it with Bill Gates and Company. But I certainly hope it goes well for you, regardless.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Buffalo2102

Vista prices are pretty comparable to the prices that XP was going for back when it was introduced.  If you consider inflation etc. over the last 5-6 years then the prices are probably better than they were with XP IMO.

Oh, and good luck going to Apple where I believe you are charged for licences just for service packs.  At least once you have purchased Windows that is it - a lifetime of support and updates for free.

I'm not a lover of Microsoft but they do get alot of (IMO) undeserved criticism on top of the deserved stuff.  And the grass is not always greener......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

freelance

im r&d ing vista at work atm and im not going to recommend it for installation. its nice and there are some very good fetures, its just that the driver, program and hardware compatability base are so far behind the os.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)