• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

asta la "vista" baby, DRM and Premium content nightmare

Started by halokid, January 23, 2007, 14:49 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

halokid

If even 6 percent of this is true, then consider me out
Maybe ill be full linux in a couple of years

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#introduction
A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Bill

The Microsoft motivation, at least as implied in that link, behind premium content protection is scary. 

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Buffalo2102

To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to read all of that.

All I will say is that I get the impression that Microsoft are probably getting a slating for pretty much nothing again.  All they are doing in Vista and previous OS's) is supporting the DRM initiative of the studios etc.  They don't just make this stuff up so that they can "fill-out" the DVD.  Anybody who has an axe to grind with DRM should be looking to the studios and the industry bodies who insist on protecting their content to ridiculous lengths IMO.

Whether the DRM is poorly implemented or not is another thing......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Whizbang

I get a vision of a brat in a playpen clutching a terrified pet while the kid is screaming  "mine, mine."   I am not sure just who the pet is, but I am sure the kid has Microsoft on his shirt.

Chandler

There is an incredible amount of FUD and ignorance surrounding Vista.  I came across this gem this evening, which was in response to someone having problems playing raw transport streams from their DVB card.
QuoteBasically, the problem is Vista.

Vista is a fine example of "Now, we(Microsoft) will rule the entire world" OS coding.
It lets you do 100% less then XP does, and with much more trouble.
I hate it...
mad.gif

Basically, if Vista decides in the background, that this is "Premium content"(even if it isn't), it will degrade the video performance - on purpose - weather you want it to or not, and there is(currently) no way to stop it.

This is all part of the not-so-well-published DRM "Features" of Vista.

Frankly, the reply is complete nonsense.  The only reason people have problems is because Vista has just been launched and hardware and software vendors are still trying to iron out all of the bugs.  Let's face it, video playback has never been perfect on Windows, and on a new OS it's less likely to be.  If I remember correctly, under XP it is necessary to install a 3rd party DirectShow decoder to demux and play MPEG2-TS, so the user is either using a new filter included with Vista (which may have issues due to it being new) or the user is using their old filter (which may have issues running under Vista).  It is completely insane to think that Microsoft would cripple Vista's playback of MPEG2-TS because of DRM.