• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Will you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

Started by Chandler, December 10, 2006, 12:18 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you be upgrading to Windows Vista?

Yes, as soon as it's available (upgrade)
2 (12.5%)
Yes, but not right away (upgrade)
5 (31.3%)
Yes, new PC with Vista installed as soon as it's available
2 (12.5%)
No
7 (43.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Chandler

I'm curious as to what Poasters members feel about upgrading to Windows Vista.  I, for one have no intention of updating from Windows XP any time soon.  I'd rather wait until at least Service Pack 1 before I make the switch.  Even then, I'm not so sure I'm interested.

pat

I voted yes, but with new system.

Ok, let me explain. I received an email from MS thanking me for participating in the testing, ok no big deal. What I didn?t expect and won?t believe until I have a copy in hand is; they say they are sending me a complimentary full 32-bit retail version of Vista Ultimate as a thank you for my participation. This was totally unexpected and like I said, I?ll believe it when I see it. Could turn out to be just like the USB drives that never made it.

Otherwise, I had no intention of upgrading any of my systems to Vista although I most likely would have migrated to Vista when I put a new system together. If I do get the new version, I?ll do an upgrade to one of my systems to accommodate what seems to be a need for a somewhat faster CPU, video card and more ram.

My current system rates a 3.5 in Vista and seems somewhat sluggish.
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
AthlonXP 2800+
1 gig PC2700
ATI AIW 9600XT
Seagate PATA 160gig, Seagate PATA 120gig, Maxtor PATA 120gig, Seagate SATA 320 gig.
Plextor 716A DVD/RW
Plextor 712a DVD/RW
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

No, for sure. It's way too expensive and one heck of a resource hog. I'd rather wait until Service Pack 2, anyway.

Still, there's no excuse for the horrible expense.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carskick

I got a message from Microsoft saying that since I was a beta tester, I would get one free version of Vista Premium. Any other beta testers get this? I don't think I will install it on my current desktop or laptop. I will wait until I build my next computer, as I see little benefit in upgrading my current setup from XP, only to have it become needing replacement in a year or so, and I cannot carry over vista.

I see my next computer having 2-4GB RAM, an 8600GT, whatever AMD comes out with to beat conroe, and a few SATA hard drives. Until then, Vista is too inefficient, and will probably need some fixes. Waiting will bring those about. Microsoft will release SO MANY updates after release, as this is a huge product for them and they will support it.

Edit: Didn't read Pat's poast until after I poasted, he too got the free Ultimate.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Neon

I was in no particular hurry to upgrade. In fact, my next build I planned to install the just-released OpenSuSE 10.2, and run WinXP as a virtual machine.

However, I stumbled upon this website http://www.powertogether.com/ which was offering free Vista and free Office 2007, if you watch several of MS's streaming webcasts. From the website:
"If you are eligible for and register to receive both gifts, you must complete a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) form prior to receipt of the second gift."
Since I don't use Office at home, and don't want the tax hassle, I opted to register for Vista only. If this site is legitimate, Vista should arrive 6-8 weeks after commercial release (~ April). If it isn't legitimate, then I'll get a lot of spam at the email used to register.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Chandler

Quote from: Carskick on December 10, 2006, 21:44 hrsI got a message from Microsoft saying that since I was a beta tester, I would get one free version of Vista Premium. Any other beta testers get this?
Nope, I didn't get given anything, despite testing Vista since late 2005.

Buffalo2102

I have been a Beta tester and haven't been offered anything.

As far as upgrading to Vista goes, I quite like it but am happy with XP at the moment.  I have a new system that runs Vista well but am holding off buying a new graphics card until there is more choice of DX10 cards available.  I expect that I will upgrade to Vista once I get a new DX10 card and there are some DX10 games out there to play ;D
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Whizbang

Eventually, there will reach a point where OS upgrades are irrelevant.  The curve of improvement started to level out when Win2000 came.  Win 3.1 to Win95 was probably the biggest leap.  I really cannot justify the change, even with a new system.   I keep dreaming that somewhere out there is another kid in his garage that is coming up with something that will blow every other OS out of the water, but that would contradict my first statement.  Since I hate to be wrong, I guess I will revert to my original profound opening sentence.   ::)

Whizbang

If MS cannot get control over all of the piracy, I can just see the day that the address of the purchaser will need to be included with the registration so that a spy satellite can determine who is surfing with a pirated OS.  Then a laser gun will zap the unauthorized computer.   OK, no more coffee for me tonight.   :o

pat

Okay, some interesting reading here.
Bad Vista
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Chandler

I've been bitten by WPA/WGA on a few occasions, with the latest issue being that I have a useless MCE2005 licence sticker on my main desktop PC.  Internet activation failed, automated phoneline activation failed, and after a couple of attempts of trying to get through to a real person I gave up and installed a spare academic Windows XP Professional licence.  I'm dismayed, but not at all suprised, to hear that Vista will be even stricter with licencing.

You know what the worst thing about it is?  It'll make absolutely no difference to piracy.  That you can pretty much guarantee.  All it will do is further alienate people from Microsoft.

pat

I neither support nor condemn the material they reference, but I find it hard to believe you?ve had time to follow the links and read enough of the material to come to such a rapid assumption.

Chandler

JA, retail boxed Vista comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  OEM Vista is one or the other.

To be honest, you aren't missing anything by going 32-bit.  You may be missing a lot by going 64-bit (lack of drivers etc.).

iansl

I got Ultimate for $200 (yay eBay) upgrade, and it included both 32 and 64 bit discs. I have to say that I'm happy with Vista but I know that I'm NOT going to give up XP due to compatibility (Age of Empires II, TuneBite heh heh heh). But I got hooked on Vista after trying it for months on end at RC2, and the RTM version is that much smoother. Some people have problems with Vista, but I haven't been one of them so yeah, I'm tryping this from Vista right now and am perfectly happy, even with 500+ DRMed (Yahoo Unlimited) songs...they play fine...couldn't b happier...

Okay, I could be...I want my XP dual boot capability back! ;)
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

Buffalo2102

I am totally Vista now - no XP on my home machine at all (although I still use it occasionally on my laptop).

I have not had any problems at all with Vista and it's been solid as a rock.  I haven't (yet) come across anything that I couldn't run on it, at least not without a bit of tweaking anyway.  And the tweaking is part of the fun and the learning process for me.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.