• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Upgrading my laptop

Started by Snake, February 16, 2003, 21:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

I have an IBM thinkpad 600, and i want to know how much i can upgrade it. What is the largest capacity hard drive i can put in it, and is it possible to change the processor to a pentium III, and what else can i do/not do. Thank you for your help.

query

The hard drive should be easily upgradeable - if you choose a drive larger than the notebook can support with its BIOS, you will need to use a BIOS overlay, free from the drive maker.

The CPU is an Intel MMC-1, which is a form factor not used for the PIII processor. The fastest processor produced in the format is the 400 MHz PII, which is the fastest possible for this model.  They are no longer produced, so you'll have to find a used one if you want to upgrade.

Snake

Is it possible for me to just change the cpu, it really doesnt matter to me, if its possible, ill do it.

query

Yes, the CPU is modular- it is possible to change it - but you will have to dismantle the notebook, which can be tricky.

You should be able to find an MMC1 processor used somewhere - just make sure it is MMC1 and not another format (MMC2, PPGA, FC-PGA, mPGA, etc.  - the formats are mutually exclusive).

The fastest MMC-1 is a 400 MHz, and it wasn't produced in large quantity - so you may find that a 300-366 MHz is as fast as you'll find on the used market.

Snake

Can the MMC1 be swapped for another like the MMC2, PPGA, or any others, i want to make this thing as good as i can. I know you might just say for all the trouble just buy a new one, and im going to, but for now, i just want to have some fun with this one.

dcsun

No, the sockets are different for those various classes of processors, so there's no way to use the newer ones in the older sockets.  There are also different voltages, timings, etc, but that's pretty much moot if it won't fit in the socket ;).

I think probably your only simple upgrade options will be the hard drive and memory, neither of which will make massive performance improvements.  If you just want to play around with it, go for the upgrades and have some fun with it.  If you actually want a decent laptop in the end, put the money towards a new one :).

query

MMC1 and MMC2 are completely different physically - so are MOST of the other packaging specifications for notebook CPUs (there are almost a dozen different incompatible formats from Intel alone).