• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

SLI and the FAMILY STONE

Started by Ace, January 14, 2008, 15:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Well, to keep you from having to read by having me have to tell you "No.  I did not never try the new card by itself."  Reason being this thing has one nasty hard to pin screw at the top, and it's enough to have to have done it, twice.  Plus, although appreciating the diagnostic merits, I don't want to undo a working arrangement.  At least half of them.  Plus, I trust it would work, if I asked it too.  It just doesn't want to cooperate with the incumbent.  You'll see the same thing next December, after the election.

I have to say, this "Good Cop" "Bad Cop" "Real Cop" gambit you guys run here takes the cake.  You've got Pat agreeing with me on my observations "According to web tests I should be ok with 450 watts" "Yes, that should be sufficient" and then bad cop Buffalo "Why don't you just get a new better single card" and "Oh dear, here's how to undo that" and "Oh, my, here's how to undo the undo" and "You really need to make sure your BIOS match although probably not and be careful, I wouldn't bother."  And then you, with your "try resetting your clockwork Orange" and "here's how to get New Eggs, and spam" and "try the power cord, by itself, on yourself" advice.

You know, opinions are like pc components that don't work.  Everybody has one, and I have more than most people.

Ace; I've got to tell my wife I get to buy drums...!
Ring bells for service.

Bill

You're right.  We should all collectively apologize for conflicting opinions and advice, all of which have undoubtedly confused the issue and worse, haven't solved the problem.  So on behalf of Fido and I, we are going to defer to someone else.  But have and offer the definitive opinion on the SLI, bridge, PWS issue(s)  Don't do it, leave sleeping dogs lie and admit that the original decision to purchase an SLI motherboard was, simply, foolish and wrong....
See, now it's all fine.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well, yeah, if I had behind sight I'd be blind, just from the immenseness of all this.

I'm not sure that came out right.

You know, not only wouldn't I have probably gotten one but I sure wouldn't have gotten it from that sinking ship that was Monarch.  I could probably dig up my original quest, here, and I bet I'd find a whole bunch of advisors saying "Ace, you know, SLI is the next big thing you gotta get one of those Buddy."

Buddy is what I used to go by, as per my ex-parakeet, way back when here, so I answer to that as much as the other fake name.

Foolish, and wrong.  That could be a fitting epitaph. 

You know, though, with two cards and two bridges, and maybe two PSU's pretty soon, I might be able to configure a system that will blow the doors off this piano black Sonata box!  Like back when I did the joystick, and trackball, and mouse, and I could cursor all over creation. 

Anyway, thanks for your sentiments, and thank Fido too.  Probably having a dog with barbecue breath is about as bad as two video cards doing the work of one.

Ace; half the time.

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I'd like to jump over the chuck wagon by not accepting responsibility for any of this, even though I also told you so and gave you unwelcomed advice.

I am deeply offended that this has gone on to page 4. Goodness, what have we done to deserve that? Huh?

Scuzzy; let me know if you need help blowing up any doors.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

If I had a choice, I'd be the bad cop.

Say, what card do you have connected when trying the SLI anyway? Have you tried connecting to the other just for grins?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

It's fine with me if you want to be the bad cop for awhile; Buff can be the Constable, on Patrol. 

Whattya mean, which one's connected?  They're both connected.  With that kicky little strip betwixt them.  You mean which one has the monitor cable?  Or which one gets to sit in first class, and which one's in third? 

Ace; whoever's which cop, I'm still the perp.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Yes sorry I mean the monitor, if you have the monitor connected to the card in the blue slot have you tried the one in the black slot instead?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

No... I really did not like that episode when I lost the monitor, completely, and went blind...  That's my only reservation (we're staying home tomorrow) about flipping that around.  Any reason why you think that's suitable?  Or just a "Simon Says; Ace do this" type of exercise?

Ace; about the only exercise I'm getting.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Look, don't ask why - just try it.  We're already on page 4 and you should be just about ready to try anything.  Once.

I could be Constable but I can't do landscapes. 

I am also not accepting any responsibility for this because, as I already told you, I told you.

Buff; telling
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Well, you're right, usually I ask "why" after I do something.  Sometimes all through Saturday, and well into Sunday.  Do you mean landscapes as in "painting" them or landscapes as in cutting the grass and planting some bushes? 

Of course you're irresponsible; I never meant to imply you're anything but, so hope I didn't mislead you on that causing you to be misled.  I was glad to get an earful today, though, so appreciate that. 

Ace Update:  I thought of a reason NOT to connect my monitor to the secondary card (besides being tired of lifting this thing out of it's side holder, flipping it onto its side, and putzing around in it..  the primary card now connected is at 16x.  The secondary card, on this board, runs at 8x.  Would seem to me running the video from the slower could result in a lesser "view"...

Ace; I think he already told me that.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

By Golly Yes J, offer advice if you have any.  More the merrier. 

The problem is: this is a nebulous area without much "hands on" expertise, except by those whom may have undergone it and found it to WORK.  Plus; there are seemingly unlimited variables; brand/vintage of motherboard, the duo cards (and just how similar they are...); drivers, PSU's, the like.  Different cards might have different power consumption needs and means (separate connections from PSU or off the board..?).  Plus, part of my ongoing difficulties are sorting through the "advice columns" (not just here; other tech forums and SLI bases both civilian and company-sponsored) as well as a rash of unexpected "surprises" (shifting NVidia video property screens, "looks ok oh oh" crashes and endless reboots, loss of vision, SafeMode salvation over and over again).  "Normal" people probably don't mess with it at all, since it's really just a gaming benefit ("from what I've heard").

It also seems to be a place of suburban myths, and hard to tell just how justified (or necessary?) some "fixes" might be.  Matching card BiOSes, BIOS updates (mobo), vintage of drivers, really necessary power demands (especially figuring drain from CPU, fans, the rest besides the cards).

Add to that the meanness of people who just like to see me jump through SLI jumpers, or find great joy in telling me things and reminding me they did, that can add to the general mystique and mythology herein. 

Really, if there was a "get down and dirty fix it" it'd be: 
1. Ace, give it up.  It ain't worth it.  (already expressed).
2. Ace, just buy a better dang new card and don't bother with that contraption (already expressed, plus he told me so).
3. Ace, update your card and PSU and CPU and probably memory and most everything else which ya gotta figure is gonna cure whatever it is that's hanging that thing up, anyway, as it won't be there anymore if it's replaced.
4. getting there, on #3....

Ace; I don't know what bores people.  Usually,  I don't care.  I figure if it's me, that makes two of us.
Ring bells for service.

pat

The way I understand it is both cards will run at 8x in SLI mode, so I figure you might as well go with the card that has a head start.

And in manual it just says to connect the monitor, doesn't say to which card, just to connect. So..... and here's the good part......"What can it hurt?" or "What could go wrong?"

Pick one.

Ace

In the system, the primary shows at 16X and second at 8X.  I know that was stated they both drop, but have seen conflicting things on if/how much.  So that's what I was referring to, but know what you're going by too.

I know they work "in cahoots" but I can't see this being that bipolar where they send the output either/both directions (?).  Would seem the second card assists the main, and the main drives the signal back.  I might knock it down and try it, but doesn't seem sensible to me to switch everything from the adjunct card.

Ace; dang down and dirty serious help.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

This is the serious board. 

Ace; seriously.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I guess if it was me in this situation I would just try every conceivable option including switching around the cards testing each card individually, trying the different cards in different slots and the connections to monitor. Heck I'd even give my ram a go with memtest. Then I'd look to the power supply as the next step, well if I hadn't thrown the dang thing out in the snow by then. 

Ace

Seriously, P, I know what you mean.  Especially chucking it in the snow thing.

The tough thing with this is it's been so hard to work in a sequence or progression, as a process of elimination.  Not like I can travel through it bit by bit and have a satisfying sense of "been there/done that/now do this."  That's why I'm a bit "spooked" to experiment.  Losing the monitor, losing the Earthlink connection, having those LAN connectors go goofy, unknown device appearing, USB glitch...  I'm a bit jittery about "well, let's yank this and see what happens" since I'm figuring something BAD will, probably.

Logically, as there has been "progress" (suitable drivers, slot and device recognition, consistency in the pattern after I enable SLI where it goes through start up TO the "welcome" stage and then blips off and reboots) it would seem "sensible" to me that a power deficit would be in order if it's losing it at the point of "high definition" and really kicking in. 

I do remember flipping that monitor connection, when I lost the monitor, and it didn't help.  You know too, in a weird way, if I connect to the B card and it does work I'd be wondering if I was really seeing the best/right rendition of SLI, going off the "other" card...!  After laboring over it I really want to see what SLI does, at its best and as intended.  That's the motivation.  Heck, it's already "ok" and stable (knock=wood) so I want the upside.  Guess I'm just trusting that essentially it is ok and thingS aren't going bad; just a glitch at the point of this pair kicking in together.  If I flip flop I'll report back.

Ace; if it breaks I'll blame you, and Buff will tell me he told me. 
Ring bells for service.

Ace

It would seem NewEgg raised the Antec PSU 650 watt $20 or so, since yesterday.  Thanks so much. 

Anyone ever buy from Directron or Tiger Direct?  I noticed they have some attractive prices, on Ultra X-Finity SLI units.  Not a brand I'd looked at, but seem appealing... 

Ace; XFinity, and beyond.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Directron has gotten decent ratings in the past, I haven't checked lately.  Tiger on the other hand has mixed reviews. 
The other alternative you might look at is Zip Zoom Fly. 
Personally, I think Newegg is the best of any.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I looked at Reseller's for both... pretty much equal.  I'd agree on NewEgg except they don't seem to carry the Ultra brand.  I'll look at Zip Zoom Fly; never heard of that, so thanks!

Ace; I don't want my fly zipping or zooming
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Zip Zoom carries Ultra up to 1000w.  Prices look OK.

Ace

Zip Zoom does have a good selection, including a really good price on a 600 watt Ultra (Titanium finish) that has a $30 instant rebate and is a chunk cheaper than a black version...
However; per Resellers looks like CS plunged this month and reviews hint at a going to heck in a handbasket trend... So will have to consider if they're in that Monarch tailspin mode.  Rather than having a PSU gathering case (hot air) through a large single fan I'd rather find an end fan (or two) configuration like mine now has so it just blows out the back.  Ultra and Antec seem rare to have (some) like that.

Ace; Zippy, the DooDah
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I also noticed they were 'out of stock' on many models, maybe indicative of liquidating their inventory.  Probably prudent to go somewhere else.

Bill

pat

Never ordered from Zip Zoom, I have from Directron and that went fine, but shipping took a while and as I remember was sort of pricey. Have ordered a few things recently from Tiger and it went fine and shipping was fast as they are just over in Illinois.

Ace

Geez Louie, Pat, YOU were just in Illinois... you'd think you could have picked one up from me when you were already there.

I guess I could get with Bubba to see if he'd shop for me and send stuff.  I just have an apprehension of sending him cash, and then waiting to see what's next. 

I'm glad to hear Tiger and Directron are ok; they seem "stable" per Resellers.  I'll probably scour the batch over the weekend and choose something.  May as well get that over with.  Consensus at Zippy seemed to be "they're ok if everything's ok, but if it's not you aren't either."  Of course, that seems the big advantage with NewEgg is when things go wrong.  As much as things go wrong for me, that could be worthwhile.

Ace; if I send an order to Bubba he better not put some dang snake in the box...
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

It's been a few years since I last ordered from Directron. I never had a problem with them, but I eventually switched over to Newegg for most of my purchases. The last thing that I remember ordering from Directron was, ironically, an Enermax power supply.

I recall that their customer service was responsive when I needed to adjust an order. Although I haven't used Directron in some time, I would order from them again based on my previous experience.

Scuzzy; I don't know if they're foolproof, though.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Thank you for your recommendation; since Scuzzy said to go with Directron and gave it his endorsement I was able to shop and buy an Ultra X-Finity 600 Watt.
At TigerDirect.

It was $10 cheaper than Directron, for the same one.  And both prices very close to the silly deal Zippy po(a)sted.  For some reason the Titanium is less than a Black one.  Criminy, for the difference I'll send it down to Whiz to paint it...

Ace; Paint It, Black. No colors anymore, I want them painted black...
Ring bells for service.

pat

You know, I really had to laugh "foolproof" that was pretty funny.

That and the last order I got from Tiger was a keyboard and they sent it in a box that would have held about 15 of them, it took one of those extra large size kitchen bags to hold all the styro peanuts.

Bill

So while we wait for the next chapter....

My last keyboard from Newegg arrived in a similar sized box, but I took a different approach. After carefully extracting the keyboard, keeping all the peanuts in the box, I neatly retaped it closed and put it at the curb with the trash.
Some curious soul, coming upon this large box from Newegg, looking as if it had just arrived, opened the dang thing spreading peanuts all over the street! Now several months later, we are still picking up the odd peanut.

Something to be learned here....

Bill

Ace

I don't see what's so funny about the "foolproof" comment...

Criminy, page 5!  I oughta rename this "Hijack This!" or "SLI Keyboard tips."  We lost one of our dang plastic egg crates outside to a bozo who wanted the crushed cans in it on recycling day. 

You know, I should try packing peanuts on the squirrels.  Have to be more economical for the multiple bags of unsalted roasted peanuts we're going through weekly, keeping these chubs mobile.  And it would seem more filling, too.

Ace; less taste! more filling!
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Well, here's a footnote.  Better than an appendix, huh.

I got the Ultra Spiffy X-Finity PowerPack today.  Pretty darn quick, for regular shipping.  Was sitting on the porch, waiting for me.  Criminy, is it cold.

It's very shiny; I can see myself in it.  That made me put it down, fast.  It's a shiny chrome ("titanium"... right) box with a wad of cables coming out one end.  Later this week, I'll actually attempt to hook it in.  Probably right after I remove the other plugs and unit and then say "Hey... did you bother to see where all that plugged in to?"  And I'll answer "dangit."

Ace; it's been great, so far.
Ring bells for service.