• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Stupid Winfixer......STILL!!

Started by jojo1, October 14, 2006, 16:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo1

I know this virus was around some time ago, but unfortunately my daughter downloaded the "fix" in the ad that popped up. Our version of Spy Sweeper had just expired, so the newer version was installed. Spy Sweep got rid of it, but this darned virus keeps popping up, out of nowhere. Can anybody tell me if it's associated with specific websites or is it somehow tied to our Norton program?? I just don't know what to do to keep it from popping up again.

I have an EMachines M2350, running Windows XP. Anybody????

freelance

first of all, norton is useless. i personally wouldnt use it. there arwe better free alternatives.

what you need are 3 programs;
1 avg free antivirus, garenteed to get rid of winfixer for good.
2. spybot search and destroy, a spyware blaster program downoadable from this websites downolad section.
3. lavasoft adaware se a adware remover, which will keep most of those pesky popups at bay.

all 3 are downloadable at www.download.com.

i garentee that these programs will fix your problem. i did a neighbors pc with the same problems as yours last week, and its all sorted now. just install, update and scan!
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)