• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, February 06, 2002, 09:46 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Karen, I am not sure but that error may be associated with a Worm. IAMAPP.EXE is the Norton (Symantec) internet security and firewall program. Make sure you have the latest antivurus update files. Also refer to this from   Symantec. I also searched my Antivius program for information and came up with this. Again I am not 100% sure. Trendmicro

I hope this helps.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Karen

John and Patman,

Thanks so much for the info.  Yes, I do run Norton Personal Firewall.  My virus definitions are up to date, and I ran a full system scan.  All is clean, no worm...whew!

Guess I'll have to fool around a bit with configuring the settings for Norton Personal Firewall.  I actually prefer Zone Alarm, but my fiance' wanted me to give Norton a try.  I'll go back to Zone Alarm if I'm not successful with configuring Norton.

Again, thanks for the help!  I was completely stumped.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

pat

Karen,

Glad to here you don?t have worms.

Seriously though, I don?t doubt you had a few anxious moments waiting for that virus scan to complete.

I seem to remember you had that trouble before.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Pat

Edited by - patman on Feb 07 2002  5:40:04 PM
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

John

Karen, if it was not a Woim then you might need to reconfigure the Firewall to load from the start folder. To do that just follow the directions in the Symantec link poasted. It sounds like the firewall is starting to fast.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

Karen

John and Patman,

Thanks so much for all your help.  

I never could get Norton Personal Firewall to behave properly.  On top of generating errors when using Media Player, it also began randomly shutting down for no apparent reason.  

Several days I came home from work and Norton Personal Firewall was shut down (for who knows how long).  I also witnsessed it first hand randomly shutting down while browsing.  The IAMAPP.EXE error pop up would appear and then the firewall would shut down.  As I have an always on internet connection, I was quite concerned...especially since I was getting several hits a week from the Sub7 Backdoor Trojan trying to gain access to my system. http://www.commodon.com/threat/threat-sub7.htm

I know there are several trojans out there that can disable firewalls, and I was worried I might have picked one up.  Well, I ran numerous virus scans as well as trojan scans with "The Cleaner" http://www.moosoft.com/ and my system is clean.  I have no explanation as to why Norton Personal Firewall keeps randomly shutting down, other than it's just "buggy".

So it's back to Zone Alarm for me and now all is well.

Karen    

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Karen

System Specs:

Win2K Pro

1.4 Ghz AMD Thunderbird

256mb DDR

64mb Nvidia GE Force2 MX400

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer

Windows Media Player 7.01.00.3055

Verizon DSL (sorry Roadrunner...you just became too slow!)

Have been running Win2K Pro for approx a month after an unsuccessful try with WinXP (incompatability with my Nivida graphics card.) Anyway, after a clean install and no other problems with Win2K, I continue to receive a recurring error with Windows Media Player.  Over 1/2 the time when I click on a website hyperlink to watch a video clip, the following happens:

1) Media Player opens automatically

2) "Connecting" message appears within the player

3) Pop-up appears saying IAMAPP.EXE has produced an error, restart program,

an error log is being generated. (Not exact wording, but close enough.)

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I might be able to fix?  What exactly is IAMAPP?  Where's the error log it's generating and is it useful in trying to figure out the problem?

The same video clips do run ok within the IE 6 built-in media player, but I prefer the full featured Media Player 7.01.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated!

Karen