• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

External modem woes

Started by Scotto1971, April 29, 2003, 00:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotto1971

Hi once again, here is my latest dilemma.

Client of mine has an external modem which can't dial out.  I think I have isolated the problem which is their home phone is on a prepaid system so an access code has to be entered into the phone before a dial tone can be obtained.  Therefore when the modem gets ready to dial it can't hear the dial tone so displays one of those charming little error messages.  Is there any way to get the modem to dial the access code without wanting a dial tone first and then get it to pause for a moment until the dial tone is there and then finally dial the access number?  I imagine this would be a common problem with any modem.  Any suggestions gratefully received!

Scotto
P4 3.0c GHz @ 3.38GHz, 1.5GHz DDR400, Albatron PX865PE ProII, Albatron GeForce 6800GT, 3 x 80Gig Seagate Barracudas, Pioneer Dual layer DVD burner, Samsung DVD ROM, Benq FP767 17" LCD, 500watt PSU, and a whole stack of neons nicely wrapped up in a black Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case.

dcsun

I seem to remember there being a setting to disable call waiting, and another to access an outside line, so perhaps one of those would allow you to enter the code?  Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't have a system with a modem in it to look at.

44mayg

This might work, or at least get you in the general area.

Go into Control Panel, click on Modems, and under the General tab, click Dialing Properties.