• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Allie-Baba, May 31, 2002, 07:33 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

Eddie - welcome to poasters. I can't specifically answer your question but I doubt that anyone else will be able to much either without more information.

If you don't know specific info regarding the motherboard, processor, and other configuration info. Try loading Belarc Advisor from crucial (http://www.crucial.com/support/belarc_download.asp) then report the info shown there.

You may be able to get some performance enhancements from simply adding memory. One thing that I will add is that when I upgraded my PC with a 1/2 way decent 7200 RPM hard disk it was like a new PC. However, for me my old PC supported ULTRA ATA 166 so I could take advantage of it.

Just some thoughts.

THNX

BRAD

"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

John

EddieX, you might possibly be able to upgrade to a Pentium 200 or 233 depending on processor type. Open the case and look and see if the proacessor is square with a fan on it or slot type ie. about 4" by 3" by 1". You might also be able to upgrade to more ram also which would help performance wise. A new motherboard would mean a new power supply new case, new RAM new Processor, and so forth. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how motivated you are. Also what version of Windows 98 do have. You might also want to think about a CPU upgrade from this company  Evergreen. To be more specific please poast the model number of the computer ie. Dimension XPS M166 something to that effect. Poast back with the information using this same thread. Good luck,

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

dcsun

As John mentioned, upgrading the board (unless you could find a used one with matching cpu and memory), would involve replacing many other components.  I doubt you'll notice much, if anything, from 166 to 200, so that's not really worth your trouble.  You may also want to consider a new barebones system (usually includes tower, motherboard, processor, ram, floppy), to which you could add many of the components from the old one, and end up with almost a new system.

David

==============================

David W. Cook

Chairman & C.E.O.

DCSun Internet Technologies

http://www.dcsun.com" target="_blank">http://www.dcsun.com

==============================

query

Effectively, your upgrade options are limited.  The fastest Intel Socket-7 processor is a 233 - and you may or may not be able to use one.  All 233s are MMX, which means they need a 2.8V core.  Non-MMX processors (up to and including 200 MHz) use a straight 3.3V core.  If you install an MMX processor on a board that doesn't support one, you'll fry it in short order.

Non-Intel Socket-7 processors are available in upgrade packages, but will require a third-party BIOS (the Dell/Phoenix/Intel BIOS will lock the board if a non-Intel CPU is installed).

Further, it's about 99.9% certain you've got a 430VX chipset - which limits your memory options (most of these will support only up to 64 MB RAM).

If you can find a cheap Intel OverDrive processor (200 MHz) - say $10 or less, and you've got enough RAM, keep the system - but don't spend a lot upgrading it.

Unfortunately, Dell uses nonstandard power supply and front panel connectors, so an aftermarket mainboard will require a new power supply and case.

EddieX

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

As per V. Brad's instructions, I'm downloading

the Belarc Utility from Crucial.com to see

exactly what I've got to work with.

After reading all posts, the consensus seems

to be against getting another (new) motherboard.

I did managed to replace the 2Gig HD that came with it

with a WesternDigital 4Gig HD. Speed has improved.

Query's advice may have saved me from frying my

processor as I didn't know the details about

MMX technology. Also, I don't know what chipset I've

got, but after clicking on properties in 'my computer'

I know I've only got 64MB ram to play with.

I'm not crazy about having to spend more $$$ for

an upgrade, but I am trying to get the most speed out

of this system as I'm a newbie graphic designer/programmer.

I know I could buy a better system, but heck, you can't

beat FREE.

I'll post again after I get the results from Belrac advisor.

Thanks again. Peace!

*****EddieX

EddieX

Hi all,

Just got an old Dell Dimensions Tower

P166A as a gift. After wiping away all

the dust, I surmized that the processor is

a Pentium 166mhz. I managed to install WIN 98,

but it runs very, very slow.

I would like to upgrade this to a 200mhz or

maybe even higher. Can this be done? How far

high can I upgrade? Will I need a new motherboard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Peace!

*****EddieX