• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Trying VGA and PCI graphics simultaneously.....

Started by Allie-Baba, August 02, 2006, 00:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

I'm attempting to run AGP and PCI graphics cards simultaneously on my PC for the first time.

PCI card is a RADEON 7000 while the AGP card is an NVIDEO GeForce 7600 GS.  I may I suppose have a compatibility issue between the two manufacturers.

I also enabled all related AGP BIOS settings that "made sense".

I moved the PCI card from PCI slot 1 to 4.

Currently I think the PCI card is running with a default driver - it won't find the correct driver in the PC - and my disk is burried in a box from the move.

The AGP card won't trigger a monitor at all - at least via the digital interface - haven't tried the analog interface yet.

Ideas?

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Allie-Baba

OK - I got the two cards working basically - but now the eVGA card/viewsonic monitor are not working well together, or there is still a conflict with the other graphics card.

The evga/viewsonic combo is working in low res/low color mode only. While the other card regular monitor are seemingly working fine so long as I keep this combo as the primary monitor.  It I make this the secondary monitor then they both run in low res mode.

Ideas?

Tried reloading drivers for both the graphics card and the monitor - no luck.  Actually I don't have a seperate monitor driver - it's an install script.

THNX
BRAD

brez

I would not be an expert in this field personally but i put your situ to a Techy that does some work for me and his answer was...
It is definately a driver problem either for a card or a monitor or possibly both!
Sorry i can not be of more assistance.

BREZ
My Website offering FREE hosting for your Website<br />             http://www.afreeweb.info

Allie-Baba

Here's where I'm at so far - I was able to get the new card to run butonly in 640-480 16 color mode.

I removed the PCI card and removed the drivers for that card and reinstalled - that  single card and monitor seems to be working now.

Next to reinstall the PCI card and drivers and see what happens.

THNX
BRAD

Whizbang

If there is a sharing violation, which there very likely is, you cannot load both fully functional drivers at the same time.  The Startup option selects the particular VGA output.  One would tend to negate the other and cause it not to load correctly and default to the OS basic mode, if it loads at all.  What you are experiencing is a conflict between driver loading priorities.  Check the IRQ of each driver first for conflicts.  I do not know if you can achieve what you are seeking or not.  Cars probably can offer better information than I on this.

Allie-Baba

Yeh - I was hoping on getting up to 3 monitors running (long story).  But I'm beginning to suspect the same issues you describe.

There aren't any detected IRQ conflicts - but that may not mean anything.  

I may just forget it for now and run just the one AGP card until I know for sure this may work.

THNX
BRAD