• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

builiding an efficient pc...

Started by yokosi, October 21, 2003, 14:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

yokosi

Ok guys, I was just wondering.  How do you guys go on planning a system? I know much about processors but theres so many motherboard out there, which ones are good? which ones should I stay away from? Same with cases, usually how big of a power supply is good to cool the system down, 300, 400 Watts? or does this vary on the system your planning on buliding.  Vids and sound cards are the obvious depending on the users needs but my main question is how to decide between motherboards/cases/memory, etc.
Any hints on building pc's would be great, also is there some sort of a rule or something people bide by when mixing up different manufactures together when mixing and matching pc components during build up.

Any advice would be great, thanx
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

Schnoze

Heya Yokosi,

I just recently built a computer for around 700$ in total.  It should be a GREAT computer for gaming, and any other processing needs you require.  If you want, you can check out the thread, which is labeled "What do you guys think about this" or go here to get to it.  Just read along with what the system I built has, and keep posting on specific questions.  FYI, I got a nice deal on a case with a 450W PS... so, just a suggestion, shop around for combos and such... Motherboards are tricky sometimes, but always go with ones that you see high ratings on, and can view people's opinions.  Last, know your budget. I said I didn't want to go over 800$, and it turned out I did just about that and better.

In my opinion, check out www.newegg.com and get accustomed to what things do, and what their price range is. I started there and got a good knowledge base on what stuff does =P.  Also the people here are VERY helpful and friendly, I'm sure they can help ya more than I ever will be able to!  Also, check some other threads for specific questions, like "which PS should I get?"  Or, "Which Motherboard should I get?"  Last, always search around for the best price, sometimes you may find a refurbished item that is just missing a wire that came with the case, or missing the patch cd, which you can get from the website.  Those can be GREAT deals.  That's about all I did, and it worked out great! =P.  Good luck friend!

- Schnoze
-Schnoze

"Fast computers are cool... but you can't beat the ones that GLOW!"

pat

All I do is read all I can.
There are so many sources for information on the net it?s hard to point to any one source as the definitive last word. I must admit I?m slanted toward AMD and tend to seek out info on what?s offered in motherboards for their processors.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

yokosi

Ok I just read a bunch of info from shnozes poast and the link in his post.  Very uselful info, newegg has very good prices, too bad they don't ship to Canada :(
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

Mark H

Check reviews on the motherboards at places such as www.Tomshardware.com , www.anandtech.com , and www.motherboards.org .

Check message boards and forums like this one for information.

As Pat stated, read, read, read........and read!

Eventually, you will narrow it down to two or three motherboards with which you can live.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Hoot

Some places I reside are great forums

http://www.amdmb.com/

http://www.hardocp.com/

*one of the sites I have frequented for a long time has a nice guide for building for beginners, as well as a nice forum

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/