• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

monitor opinion

Started by yokosi, July 26, 2003, 17:25 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

yokosi

Hi all, how's everyone doing today?

Anyhow im looking into a basic monitor, don't do much gaming or such.  I found this monitor http://caipsgws001.can.ibm.com/store/optionsearch?type=oem&action=searchresults&webcat=Monitors&series=Monitors%5COther&vendor=0&aud=IBM+STORE
It's the first one...

Anyway I know someone selling it for $100 cdn, do you guys think this is worth it? At Canadacomputer they are selling refurbished 17's for around $90 cdn so I was just seeking opinions.  Does this monitor have a good history behind it?

Any tips or advise would be great.  Thanx :)
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

query

It's tough to tell with IBM, which often labels completely different monitors from different manufacturers, with the same model number.

yokosi

oh ya right, u serious.  So don't trust this monitor? I believe it comes with a 3 year warranty?
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

query

The best course of action is to have a return privilege in case the unit you get doesn't suit your needs.  You cannot tell from the name IBM what the monitor will be like - I've seen identical IBM model numbers - made by Matsushita (Panasonic), LG, and Daewoo - there's just no way to tell from the model name who made it.

yokosi

So if the 3 year warranty is valid I should go for it.  When I install the drivers and all can't I use a program like Sisoftware Sandra Standard to determine if it's a real IBM or not.  Plus how can I tell the difference between a real IBM monitor and a matsu, lg or daewoo? The guy said he bought this monitor brand new from the IBM store? Not sure if he's lying or not..

query

If there's an FCC ID on it, it may help you identify the manufacturer.  

The bottom line is not the manufacturer or the warranty - it's how the monitor looks to you.  It's a good idea to buy monitors locally - they do not ship well, and it gives you a chance to return one that turns out to be not as sharp as you'd like it to be.