• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Looking for a server

Started by WorrNemesis, February 08, 2003, 14:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

WorrNemesis

I'm thinking of looking for a server to host my website from.  Would it work since I'm using DSL, and if it would work, what would be the cheapest one that I could get (I'm on a budget)?

scuzzy

Whether you're using DSL or a dialup will not matter, other than speed. As for where to go for a host, the choices are nearly endless. However, there are some that are much better than others.

You can get free hosts (forced advertising), as well as el-cheapo ones that will promise the world for only $7.77 per month (or less).

Give us more details, including what you can afford, and I'll give you a little guidance.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

query

It might matter - depending on the type of services you plan to run.  If you're on a dynamic IP address and plan to run something needing nameserver support, for instance, it won't work.

Check the current terms of your DSL service - if you have "consumer grade" DSL service (i.e., $50 a month or less) your terms of service may preclude you running a server.   Also recall that most DSL is asynchronous - downloads are fast but uploads are  usually much slower.

If you really plan to host a server, you'll need at least one static IP address and as much bandwidth as you can get - with my DSL (SBC) that means $80 a month basic, with $120 more realistic - others are similar.

scuzzy

Oops - you're right, query. I misread the original question. I thought he was look for a host.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters

Yes, it should be possible with most dsl connections, but there are many things to consider.  Many of them have been mentioned, but I'll go over them again.  The first is whether or not you're allowed to run a server on your connection.  You probably can regardless, but be prepared for the company to drop you like a hot potato if their policies are not followed.  The other consideration is the ip address.  If it's dynamic (meaning it changes sometimes), you'll need to find a service that allows you to map a subdomain to it and run a program from them that updates their records each time your address changes, and that will probably prevent you from using a domain name.  Also, some cable/dsl modems include an integrated firewall which will prevent incoming connections.

Other things to consider include the software and hardware.  You could run it from your desktop PC if you wanted, but that won't be nearly as fast or reliable as a dedicated machine.  If you're looking at a dedicated machine, either Linux or FreeBSD is a good choice for the operating system, but there'll be a steep learning curve.

The bottom line is you're not going to be able to do it professionally on a comsumer dsl or cable connection.  It's a good way to learn and host a personal site, but you'll never be able to match the speed or reliability of a commercial quality connection.

(If you're curious how much something like that will cost, I just purchased a fiber optic connection for my home based business' servers, and it was $2k for the installation plus $650 per month for the second lowest bandwidth option.  The first invoice was for $6k ;)).