• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

burning cd-r's

Started by yokosi, February 04, 2003, 18:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

yokosi

Im having a bit of trouble burning my cd's.  I tryed to burn my MP3 music on a cd-r and they keep failing on 12X.  I threw out like 5 of them already and it says error buffer under run.  But when I burn at 4X is works fine and 12X only works when I burn a cd to another cd.  Is this normal, b/c I was told so.
Also my cd rewrite is 12X 8X 32.  I know that 12X means the maximum write speed, but can anyone tell me what the other 2 numbers represent.  Thank you
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

dcsun

32x would be the read speed for sure, as that's always the highest number.  The other two are the write and re-write speeds (re-write being for cd-rw discs), and usually the write speed is higher than the re-write speed (12x vs 8x in this case).  The actual number is the speed of the original audio cd players (150 KBps I believe) multiplied by the number (ie: 32 x 150KB = 4800KBps maximum transfer rate).  That's the best possible scenario, though, and you'll probably never get close to that in actual use.  Nice to know that it's capable of it, though :P.

As for not writing the discs at 12x but working fine at 4x, that could be due to a number of factors, including the speed rating and brand of the blank discs, the quality of the burner, the processor and memory of the system, the programs running in the background, etc).

yokosi

thanx Dc, im using an amd athlon 1000 mh/z processor, 256mb ram, the burner im not sure but it's farely new and I alway shut off every single program on the backround and I tried several different cd disks from different manufactuers and it still acted the same way.
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

query

If you have no buffer underrun protection on the drive, disable as much as possible, running programs.  That includes antivirus realtime scan, and particularly things like Fast Find in Microsoft Office.

What speed are the blanks rated for?

yokosi

the blancs cd's are 24X Multispeed made by Durabrand

query

Try different blanks - though a name-brand isn't a guarantee of quality (the blanks are produced by the same companies as the no-names), at least if they don't work you have a point of contact - and in general, if a company is willing to put a name on the discs, they're of a higher grade than the no-name ones.

yokosi

I've tried 3 different types and they're all garbage now b/c it writes for like a second and then fails and sais error buffer underrun

query

What writing program are you using, and are you sure it's completely up to date?

yokosi

Quote from: query on February 09, 2003, 17:15 hrs
What writing program are you using, and are you sure it's completely up to date?

Easy cd creater platinum 5

query

Which version, exactly?  5.x.yyy, etc.

yokosi

it just says 5, is there any way I can tell what version it is? I checked in properties and it doesen't help me out, it just says what I mentioned above.  Thanx

query

Open up the Easy CD Creator module and go to help/about Easy CD Creator, and it should be displayed there in the dialog box that appears.

yokosi

Ok it's version 5.00.2190.1(5.0), copyright 1990-1995 Microsoft Corp.

query

That's the version of Windows, not Easy CD Creator.  The box that appears should say "About Easy CD Creator", then the version number, then the Roxio Copyright information.

Again - open Easy CD Creator, then choose Help, About.

yokosi

oops sorry my bad...
I've looked all over and I even did a search for the version and nothing.  This is all I got....

Copyright

?1994?2002 Roxio, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written consent of Roxio, Inc., 455 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95050.

Trademarks

Roxio, the Roxio tagline, the Roxio logo, and the burning CD logo are trademarks of Roxio, Inc., which may be registered in some jurisdictions.
Easy CD Creator and Web-CheckUp are registered trademarks of Roxio, Inc. in the U.S., and may be registered in some other jurisdictions.
DirectCD is a trademark of Hughes Electronics Corporation, used under license.
Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Me, and
Windows XP are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and other countries, used under license.

ArcSoft and VideoImpression are registered trademarks of ArcSoft, Inc.
Noise reduction and sound enhancement technology licensed by Arboretum Systems, Inc. Copyright ? 1999 by Arboretum Systems, Inc.
QDesign MP3 Audio Codec. Copyright 1999-2000. QDesign Corporation. All rights reserved. http://www.qdesign.com.

query

Try downloading and installing the latest patch for Platinum 5 - it may solve your problem.

If you don't see a version number, chances are you may have an earlier (buggy) one.

poast78

Hi there.  I've just seen this thread, so I apologize if I'm a little late.
If you are burning an actual MP3 CD (to play in an MP3 CD player), than I don't see why this is happening.  However, if you are attempting to burn an audio disk (for use in a standard CD player), EZCD has to convert those MP3s to WAV format on-the-fly, simply because an audio CD player won't read the MP3 format, and you can't directly convert from MP3 to CDA like you can from WAV.  For starters, this is an awful lot of work to ask of a computer if you're burning at 12x.  Also, I wouldn't entirely trust an on-the-fly conversion to give you exceptional results.
I suggest picking up an MP3 to WAV converter and doing these conversions yourself.  This should remedy the problem.  But, like I said, if you are actually attempting to burn an MP3 CD, than this behavior is rather odd...
Don't eat that.

yokosi

Quote from: poast78 on February 17, 2003, 04:07 hrs
Hi there.  I've just seen this thread, so I apologize if I'm a little late.
If you are burning an actual MP3 CD (to play in an MP3 CD player), than I don't see why this is happening.  However, if you are attempting to burn an audio disk (for use in a standard CD player), EZCD has to convert those MP3s to WAV format on-the-fly, simply because an audio CD player won't read the MP3 format, and you can't directly convert from MP3 to CDA like you can from WAV.  For starters, this is an awful lot of work to ask of a computer if you're burning at 12x.  Also, I wouldn't entirely trust an on-the-fly conversion to give you exceptional results.
I suggest picking up an MP3 to WAV converter and doing these conversions yourself.  This should remedy the problem.  But, like I said, if you are actually attempting to burn an MP3 CD, than this behavior is rather odd...

Hi there, sorry if I wasn't too clear but im not trying to burn the mp3 files onto an mp3 disk.  I have attempted to burn an audio cd so I can play it in my cd receiver in my car or any stereo system.  It just gives me an error "buffer under run" or something like that and stops burning.  It works perfectly fine at 4X and burns successful with no errors.  With your reply, it gave me a much better understanding of what the problem may be.  Sorry but what does CDA stand for.  Also where can I get this MP3-WAV convertor? can I download it? thanx so much

yokosi

*note* I just remembered now, my burner used to burn audio cd's perfectly at 12X with my ME operating system but it doesen't any more with my 2000 pro o.s.  Can there something be wrong here? thx

query

Anything older than Version 5.2.x will not work properly with Windows 2000.

Download the latest version of EasyCD Platinum from Roxio.

poast78

.cda = Compact Disk Audio

It's the format read and understood by CD players.  Audio burners or recorders (or replicators) simply convert the uncompressed format (generally .wav or .aif) into .cda to be played on a CD.  This is why you need to either rip or record an audio CD onto your HDD rather than simply opening it like you would any other file.  If you tried to just open, you'd get the .cda file and it would sound like a burst of noise (like a header-less audio file).
Don't eat that.