• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

web cache software?

Started by sentofuno, February 08, 2007, 12:51 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sentofuno

hi all, been a while.. forums are shinier than i remember!

i'm needing something to webcacheing. we have a lot of repairs that come through so machines come and go all the time, its not static and often we can't make many changes to network configurations. is there a way to have a machine that stores windows updates, downloads from driver sites, antivirus/spyware update definitions etc locally so we don't have to download the same thing 20+ times a day?

because the machines aren't ours and we get so many of them it really needs to 'just work' in the sense that DHCP 'just works', ie no manual scripts to set off, no additional software on client machines.. another timesaver would be to have a 'precache' for certain sites that we use all the time but changes frequently, sort of like RSS-cache, if possible.

sorry if i'm using the wrong terminology but i'm new to this. so it would also be nice to have something relatively easy to setup and use..

thanks in advance.

pat

As to the Windows updates, you may want to have a look at http://www.autopatcher.com/

For the other, maybe a site like http://www.softwarepatch.com/ would help you just build a base of drivers stored locally to access so you don�t have to download them all the time.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

sentofuno

thanks for the links, i am trying autopatcher right now.

i did some more looking around and ISA server does webcacheing it seems. our shop has a subscription to the microsoft business action pack thing (can't remember the name of it) so we've had copies of it lying around all this time. i'll take a look at that later, i may well poast back with cries for help.

cheers again pat