• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Adobe Reader 6.0

Started by Chandler, December 08, 2003, 17:04 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

I have been thoroughly annoyed with the speed at which Adobe Reader 6.0 loads up.  Even on fast computers it takes forever.  When I looked in the program it turns out that loads of plugins load along with it by default, checking in Explorer shows that they come to around 20MB!

To get around this, I simply renamed the plug_ins folder in an attempt to speed it up and it worked (I had expected it to complain or crash).  I'd rather be able to read the PDF files myself rather than wait 10 minutes for the program to load and then have to ability to have them read to me if I choose. ::)

On a positive note it does look a lot prettier than the older versions and after removing the plugins it does seem just as fast.

Mark H

I'm running Adobe Reader 5.0 and it loads very quickly on my AMD 2500 Barton machine.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

query

Unfortunately, some PDFs are beginning to appear that won't display properly with 5.x.  And 6 is indeed a lot slower than 5 - at least on the PC (the Mac version is much better).

scuzzy

Thanks for poasting that, Chandler. I have purposely not installed version 6, but I realize that eventually I may not have a choice. That, or maybe something else is available that will read newer PDF files.

Regardless, let us know how your solution works out.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Chandler

I've discovered that after doing this, Search no longer works.  If you just want to view the files, this is fine, but otherwise simply copy the search.api file back to restore this functionality.  It still appears to open reasonably fast with this plugin in place and allows text search features.

Another nice side effect is that it's no longer able to automatically update itself, something it would try to do even if you told it not to!

bill macdonald

Interesting. One of my annoyances with Reader 5.0 is how slowly it loads in IE6.  I have Reader installed as a stand alone, not as a plug-in.  
Disabling the Reader 5.0 plug-ins reduced the load time 50%!

Bill

Tranquility_Base

Quote from: bill macdonald on December 10, 2003, 09:12 hrs
Interesting. One of my annoyances with Reader 5.0 is how slowly it loads in IE6.  I have Reader installed as a stand alone, not as a plug-in.  

Bill

About this, u can actually set acrobat reader to open separately instead of opening in IE. This prevents it from loading an applet which doesnt unload when u close the browser.
You can change this by opening Adobe Reader, go to edit, preferences, and then options (or internet if ur using version 6.0) and uncheck display PFD files in browser.

bill macdonald

Tranquility_Base,
thanks for your response. I had already made that change.
Bill

Neon

Quote from: bill macdonald on December 10, 2003, 09:12 hrs

Bill
Ha Ha! One of my annoyances with Acrobat 6.0 is how slowly the plugin loads in Mozilla - in fact, it usually freezes. It seems they must have only tested the program with one browser. ::) Supposedly there is or will shortly be a 6.0.1 that will alleviate this problem.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Tranquility_Base

lol and all of us dialup users throughout the world have to suffer the download of this program every time they come with a new version for a problem that shouldnt have been there to begin with.