• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by BlueIce, October 30, 2001, 06:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueIce

What modem do you have

are you networked

and hows the weather

http://www.poasters.com/images/ice.gif" border=0>

scuzzy

Steve,

Since Windows XP is new, we may end up limping along with you on this. However, let's see what we can do.

As always, the more information you give us, the better. Did you upgrade to the Home or Professional edition? Were you having any connection issues prior to upgrading? What kind of connection do you have to the Internet? What kind of Modem? Have you looked to see if your Modem has any driver updates available, or whether it's compatible with XP? Have you contacted your ISP to find out if there are any known XP issues?

If my fuzzy brain serves me correctly, I believe XP comes with a oneway firewall that may or may not be activated on installation of XP. I wonder if there isn't a relation between that and the problem you're having.

I'm sorry that all I have for you is mostly questions, but we have to start somewhere.

Aside from the connection problem, what do you think of XP?

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

steve65

Hi.

Ive upgraded from ME the upgrade is the home edition.I have a dial up conection,

The modem is a conexant f-1156 1V (silver) data/fax PCI V90.

The comp is a dell 8100.Ive been into the dell site they seem to only have an update for the (copper)version what ever that is? they say its not compatable for the australian region.

So far everything else i have works with XP i think it was a worthy upgrade.

PS BlueIce the weather is real shity at the moment.

Steve.

steve65

Hi.

Thanks for all the help *LOL* its working fine now......*S*

Steve

n/a

Glad you have it fixed, Steve. Those of us who've installed XP can sympathesize even if we weren't much help with your problem. As you may have read here, many of us are having our own problems. I'm using my current faulty installation as a sort of guinea pig just to learn more about it.

So far I've learned a lot about Error Reporting.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

steve65

Since installing XP, I have trouble connecting to the internet.  It seems to connect every time I first start the computer, but once I have disconnected I cannot reconnect unless I reboot the computer.  The internet connects but it will not verify the password and I get an error 718.

Can anybody please help me??

Thanks

Steve.