• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Chandler, October 21, 2001, 08:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

OK, so today it keeps hard locking up when playing back streaming video files via Media Player 6.4.  When restarted, it freezes again.

I'm getting a bit sick of this now!

Chandler Bing

Joanie

Hi Our Chandler Bing,

Wish I could help you with your problem but unfortunately I don't know what would be causing it. I can tell you this much, so far you have done exactly what Ace would have done, he always pulls the plug from the wall and that seems to fix things for him.

I hope one of our guys or gals can help you or make a suggestion. You help us so much in so many ways.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Chandler

Video BIOS!

I remember that while I was using Windows Me, I had to update my video BIOS because VESA wasn't working with the newer Detonator XP drivers.  I've downgraded it back to the version that it came with (luckily it was on the CD) and it's now working fine in Windows 2000.

I guess it's because switching it off clears the monitor's PnP information (if restarting it uses the current information).  If it's left powered on, then the monitor is being reinitialized but it's already set up!  Maybe I should put this on my new TNT2 FAQ.

Thanks for the reply Joanie,

Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

Chandler

My Windows 2000 system has quite an annoying problem.  I was using it last night to complete  the download for Service Pack 2 (haven't installed it yet - currently SP1).  When I swithced it on this morning, it just hung at the Blue coloured desktop screen, just before the logon box.  There wasn't even a mouse cursor and the keyboard wasn't responding.  I pressed the reset button and it did the same thing.  So I tried switching it off, and then on and it did the same thing.

I got so angry that I just cut the power at the wall socket, and when I put the power back on, it was working fine.  I've noticed that it only hangs if the power is left applied while it's switched off.

Using Hibernate with the power on works, so I guess I could use that, and Restart works too.

Does anyone know what's causing it?  Could it be the motherboard?

Thanks

Chandler Bing