• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, September 12, 2001, 07:25 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Hi Howard,

Welcome to Poasters and I do believe we have a few Netscape useres here in the Forum. You should be hearing from one of our techies before too long.

Hurry Back,

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Joe

Howard,

I would sure wait a while before I deleted the old Netscape program.  Make sure 6.1 is working O.K. and not conflicting with other programs.  My experience with 6.0 was that it was so buggy that I was glad to get back to 4.75.  I was glad I didn't toss it.  Maybe 6.1 is bug free.  I hope so for your sake.  Please let us know.

Joe

howard

Good point, Joe.

I had just had trouble using 6.1 for my bank account.  The people at the bank said that they haven't had time to update so that the new browser is compatable.

Seems remarkable that a new browser would not be usable while the older version still is.

Neon

Hi Howard,

You can uninstall Netscape Navigator 4.75 independently of Netscape 6.1, however, I have kept both on my machine. I have been using Netscape 6.1 since the day it came out, and like it a lot, but it is important to note that it is based directly on the Mozilla 0.92 beta browser. Despite my finding that it is quite useable (especially the browser), there are still a handful of bugs (mainly in Mail) to be worked out, and some web sites are not yet supporting it.

The remaining bugs will get stomped out as Mozilla reaches it's 1.0 release, and Netscape follows up with further point releases. I regularly follow the mozilla development news www.mozilla.com and www.mozillazine.com and the progress is surely coming along.

Also note that many people tried Netscape 6.0, found it hard to install and/or very crash-prone. This was based on Mozilla 0.6, which was nowhere near ready for release, but Netscape apparently let AOL twist their arms into an early release. Netscape 6.1 is much improved, if it is not installed over 6.0 (i.e., 6.0 should be uninstalled first).

The incompatibilities with certain websites should go away as webmasters get their acts together. Mozilla (and therefore Netscape) is highly standards-compliant, which is supposed to help with website compatibility, but it all depends on the webmaster for any given site to keep up to date with existing standards. Banks can be notably slow to update, so just keep after them, and hang on to Navigator 4.7 as a backup for now.

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

howard

I have recently upgraded from Netscape 4.75 to 6.1 (I am one of those people who prefer Netscape to Internet Explorer plus I don't want to contribute to Microsoft's monopoly).  Can I delete the old Netscape Communicator without affecting  6.1.  How do I do it since there is no uninstall?