• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

More on Canon i860 Printer

Started by Whizbang, April 11, 2004, 20:51 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I decided to put my Canon i860  to the test today on my MSI K7N2 Delta, XP 2600 unit and the results were absolutely without criticism.  I recently took some pictures of Azaleas that have rather finely detailed patterns and decided to see what degradation occurred.  I found none and was surprised that no visible inkjet streaking was present on the wet photo paper, something I observed on my old Epson ST440.

A full-page dominant pastel color print took about 17 seconds, a full page full-spectrum print about 2 minutes, and a full page 3 1/2 X 5 four set print layout about 1 minute 30 seconds.  That still beats the Epson by about 4 minutes.  I also saw no streaking at all.  The one thing that really concerned me was that the Epson seemed to overload and stripe when multiple prints from different sources were printed on the same page, but this printer just took it in stride.  Even a printout on plain paper was good with no curling due to over-inking.

I did over-do it a bit by setting the color intensity at normal + 10.  After running the full spectrum landscape scene, I saw that it was not necessary at all to alter the default setting.

The one "problem" I have is that the printer does not want to do a borderless print, opting for about a half inch border as minimum.  It is not a big deal and probably keeps me from having to clean ink out of the carriage.

Since I did not have the recommended Canon paper, I did not get the maximum quality that Canon says I would get with theirs and was not able to print on ultrafine setting.  I do wonder why it is that every printer says that unit always works better with that manufacturer's paper.

Still, I could see nothing to complain about; the prints were every bit as good as the original Olympus digital shots.  Since they were made with only a 2.0 megapixel Olympus D-380,  I was doubly impressed.