• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, January 09, 2002, 12:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Scuzzy, I was using Norton AV on all of the systems I take care of. I had been using MaCafee from Network Associates prior to Norton. Both were problematic and required a lot of interaction to maintain them. Last month I changed all the systems to Trend Micro's PC Cillin's 2000. No problems to report and updates are hassle free. Installation was a breeze and no compatability issues yet. If any come up I will poast and let all know. Anyone else running PC-Cillin let me know how it's been using it. Good or bad. www.antivirus.com

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John

Edited by - John on Mar 31 2002  5:05:49 PM
Cogito Ergo Sum

tshores

So--I've read you guys' discussions about Panda, Norton, PC Cillin, and McAfee.  I know you don't like McAfee any more, but still not sure which one you guys think is best.  (Of course I have McAfee Clinic and firewall.)  I have Win 98SE.  My subscription to McAfee is nearly up and I've been thinking seriously about changing.  I went to the Panda site and it sure looks good; not sure about the different versions they have though.  For instance, they have a networking version and I have a home network--but just two computers on it right now (till someday when I get rich and get a laptop), so not sure if they're referring to a large network or small one.

tshores
tshores

piperpilot12w

C/Net just did a software review on virus programs. It ranked Norton as the best and Panda as not so good. They said for Panda to work well you need to be an advanced user to configure it correctly and it didn't catch all viruses. I've seen many positive things said about Panda on this site and to stay away from Norton if your running Windows XP(which I am). I was ready to get Panda until I saw the C/Net review. Would anyone care to comment.

query

C/Net is often beholden to its advertisers, of which Symantec is surely one.

It matters less which antivirus package you buy than that it's stable enough to use all the time, and that you keep it updated.

I support a 1000+ machine network, all of which uses Trend Micro's products, and prefer PCCillin (the 2002 version just came out, performs well, and is inexpensive), but Panda has a good reputation as well.

I would avoid McAfee (I've been in two corporate settings were we ditched it because of performance issues, among other things).  Norton is good when they get the updates right - but Symantec has a history of releasing buggy software and updates that often cause system problems.  It's too invasive for my tastes.

One way to get the Trend Micro product is to buy the Ontrack System Suite 4 - it's not that much more expensive than just the AV alone, it's fast and comprehensive - and far, far less invasive than Norton System Works.

scuzzy

I downloaded and istalled Panda 6 Platinum Antivirus this evening on my WinXP system. It was a 12MB download, and it went fairly uneventful except for a minor inconvenience. For some reason, the 12MB Zip file wouldn't install. However, a simple restart resolved the problem. Aside from that, the installation was smooth and quick.

I'm still attempting to switch over from my Dell to my new system, so I haven't had a chance to put the new antivirus through the paces. I'll keep you folks updated.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor