• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Winamp and Spyware

Started by Whizbang, October 07, 2007, 20:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I needed to get a program that would work as a replacement for Windows Media Player because my sister-in-law's computer has no Internet access, and she cannot get the updates needed to play the newer AVI, as opposed avi files.  I had no idea there was a difference until I tried playing the AVI on her computer.  It simply did not work and wanted to access the Internet to get needed updates.  I also cannot download Media 9 because I no longer have 98 or 2000, but XP instead.  MS insists on inspecting your computer before allowing you to download, so I cannot get Media 9 because it is not for XP.  Way to go M$.

I downloaded WinAmp and installed it but was shocked by what appeared to be spyware trackers that were flashing by as it was installed. 

I did a SpyBot check after installing WimAmp and found over 30 trackers.  CNET claims that WinAmp was tested spyware free.  Anyone else have any experience with WinAmp?

scuzzy

I have been using Winamp for years, and it remains my favorite player. It's on all my systems, and is among my first installs after a clean installation of Windows. I've never had any sort of issue with any version of Winamp.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

Quote from: scuzzy on October 08, 2007, 02:56 hrs
I have been using Winamp for years, and it remains my favorite player. It's on all my systems, and is among my first installs after a clean installation of Windows. I've never had any sort of issue with any version of Winamp.
S'nuff for me.  The one file that really caught my attention was Zygot.  I did not get Winamp from CNET.  Paranoia may be sticking up its head.  I too had been using Winamp until recently and just let it slide on the last few formats of drive.  Most of the identified trackers could have accumulated after the previous scan a few days ago.

scuzzy

I always use the free "Basic" package (no bundle), which I download directly from Winamp.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor