• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Emachines Laptop

Started by andypress, January 16, 2004, 22:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

andypress

My mom is buying a latop for her bussiness, and I've decided that the Emachines
M5312 is the best for the money.  It comes with a mobile athlon 2400+, 512mb of ram, a 60gb hd, dvd and cd burner, 15inch widescreen and it 802.11g, for the price of $1000.  A comparibly priced dell cost about 1500.  I've been hearing that emachines has been picking up their reputation.  I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on emachines laptops.
"Nick Burns, the company' s computer guy. He'll fix your computer, then he's gonna make fun of you, Cause he's Nick Burns, your company's computer guy!

grmoo

Well...as far as the eMachines laptops are concerned I have no idea, however I do know that we have had an eMachines dekstop now that we got I think back in '99 and still is holding up very well. We have never had any problems....and for $299 it is a rather good machine.

davidng500

why don't you visit www.circuitcity.com and check out similar or exact notebook models from Compaq and HP  ...their prices after rebates are 899.99 for Compaq and 950.oo for HP...at Circuit City, buyers express their opinions on these models....and others models...

if you wanted, you could also check out the consumer guide/reports  or go to Google search on that Emachine notebook and read what other folks say about that...

andypress

I've already done all of that, and from reading on fourms, most users say that compaq/hp laptops are junk.
"Nick Burns, the company' s computer guy. He'll fix your computer, then he's gonna make fun of you, Cause he's Nick Burns, your company's computer guy!

query

Since it looks like e-Machines will stick around for a while, it may be worth a try - they are indeed improving.  However, that said, no matter what notebook you buy, get a 3-year parts and labor warranty on it - notebooks fail more often than desktops, and are more expensive to repair.  The $120 or so a 3-year depot warranty will cost is well worth the added investment up front.  

davidng500

I didn't know HP laptops are bad!
i think the great dependable notebooks are IBM and Dell...but IBM are expensive!

since laptops are much more prone for break down then try not to abuse it too much :)

that is, if you have a desktop and a laptop at home, then use/abuse the desktop when at home.....

as you might know, i just got myself a notebook g733, and i only use it when out on the road or at my nightly job..
i rather abuse the desktop 'cuz  costs me very little (125bucks =1.2 mhz amd, 512ram, 20gig, 56K cd-burner) ..sometimes i leave it all day and all night....for dl...and still works perfectly...had it almost a year...

i used to have a  refurbished IBM thinkPad 600E about 2 years ago, and the HDD was bad or got defective  when one day, i left it running overnight ! but luckily IBM replaced it free of charge including s/h cost even though i got it from Ubid (auction)...I guess it was only < 6 months since purchase from Ubid.
now my significant other keeps it and uses it ! :) :D

davidng500

i think maybe another thing to help you to detemine if it is a good system iss to find out from the system/device manager, if  that notebook's internal components (hard drive, motherboards, CD-R/DVD etc.) are solid (well-known) parts!

e.g., the ecs g733 i bought from ebay:
dvd/CD-R  (same as Dell's dvd/cd-R)
Hard Drive (from Toshiba...i forgot the exact name...i am using my desktop now) ....

andypress

Well, we bought the laptop, it should be here by tomorrow.  I can't wait.  Best thing is everyone on my street has wireless, bad thing is it's winter here in Buffalo.  We saw it at compusa, it felt pretty solid, and it's also very thin.