• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

dark screen

Started by ahopeter, January 01, 2004, 00:55 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

my friends ibm laptop...3 years old?  when you turn on the sytem it boots up but the screen is extremely dark...enough so that you cant find the cursor.  is there an easy fix or any ideas on what it may be? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

The backlight and/or its power supply (inverter) needs to be replaced.  Very common failure on IBM ThinkPads - the parts cost about $50;  total repair with labor should be about $150.

ahopeter

thanks, is there anyway that i can diagnose the problem my self?
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

I think it's pretty much diagnosed - if the display is OK (not cracked) but dim, the backlight and inverter need replacement.

You can probably buy the parts for $50-75 or so, but the replacement requires some expertise - possibly including soldering delicate parts.  If you don't have the equipment, it would be worth having a pro do the job.

You can find one source of lamp assemblies here

http://www.jkllamps.com/laptop.html

but you'll probably have to remove the old lamp and inverter to get the part number and physical dimensions for a replacement.

ahopeter

ohhh, an expert i am definitely not.  I think ill take your advice and leave it to a professional! thanks

ahopeter

i went to a local computer store and the gentleman told me he sould not fix the computer, that it had to be sent to ibm, directly, and that the repair would cost approximately 300.  any thoughts?

query

It's possible that IBM doesn't sell the parts separately, and that the whole screen has to be replaced.

Try another shop - they might be able to find just the repair parts.  Otherwise, the screen replacement is probably the only route to getting the screen repaired.

ahopeter