• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Thinkpad Power Supply/weird noise

Started by 87transam, March 03, 2003, 15:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

87transam

I have an IBM Thinkpad 380XD.  Everyone on it works fine, except the battery doesnt take a charge.  When it is plugged up with the AC adapter, it makes a high pitched whining noise.  It makes the noise for about 10 seconds, then goes off for 3 seconds, then starts over.  The computer doesnt have to be turned on for this noise to happen, just plugged in.  After its been on for quite awhile, I hear an "arcing" noise before the whining.  Kind of like there is a spark jumping inside the computer.  Its hard to explain.
The only thing I can compare it to is when my mom's computer's power supply went bad.  It was a desktop.  
I have another Thinkpad here that doesnt make the noise.  Its a 380 something.  Not an XD...but still a 380.  Can I swap the power supplies to see if it helps?  Or is it a bad idea to try to swap components like that.?  Im fairly skilled with taking computers apart etc...just not laptops.  I know little about their inards.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Justin

John

87transam, before you think about taking the laptop/notebook apart try it without the battery and just the ac adapter.
Cogito Ergo Sum

87transam

John...
Well I tried your suggestion and popped the battery out.  The noise went away.  So I guess I could assume the noise is due to the battery being shot.  But... here is the thing with that.  The other thinkpad 380 I have does not make that noise.  The battery Im using now is from that one.  I swapped them thinking that would make a difference.  It still made the noise, so I ruled out the battery.  But do you think its a safe bet that the battery being bad is causing the noise?  I was thinking maybe the power supply was trying to charge the battery, but since it couldnt take a charge, it was putting extra strain on the power supply.  Let me know what ya think now that I tried it without the battery.  

Justin

P.S.  Will I hurt anything if I run the computer with the battery out???  

dcsun

No, it shouldn't make any difference to it if the battery is removed, just be careful not to knock the cord loose or the machine will shut off ;).  It sounds like there's a problem with the charging circuit that's making the noise.

John

87transam, noises that computers make can sometimes be one of the hardest things to troubleshoot. Especially if the system is not with you to define the noise. It's like telling a mechanic that my car makes this noise and I think it's in the back.  The mechanic drives the car but hears no noise. Same senario applies here. You say you hear a whinning noise. Could that be a fan as it's about the only thing other than drives which move. If it were me and I was going to use this machine quite a bit I would seek to find a good laptop repair shop. If you are in the USA then contact Wesley at www.portablecomputer.com
Cogito Ergo Sum