• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Novice needs HELP & advice???

Started by steph1, April 03, 2004, 06:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

steph1

Hi all, now I need some serious advice!

My PC has been fine for 2 years, no problems at all. Then I upgraded with Blueyonder Telewest in the UK to A broadband connection for my business etc. I was using dial up connection before. Half an our after the broadband was installed I logged on and within minutes I had a virus!

The RPC box was up and then shutting down and rebooting. I originally thought the Blueyonder CD may have a virus on it, tech support said (((((NO WAY)))))) would their installation guys let that happen. Anyway it was just a thought, a logical possibility from a novice don't you think as it was OK for two years previously!

The above posts explain all that happened after that and so on.

I will try and keep it short as this is a longer story than wrote here. The PC has just returned from repair. It was stripped of all software and windows XP was reinstalled etc. I checked it out offline and all was ok until I logged on.

I had to reinstall the broadband 'drivers CD' myself first as the repair guy DID NOT have broadband at his premises to check and go online with (only dial up) - huh!

So he left the broadband driver CD installation to me. Then I loaded in the CD and up came the MSN home page, I then went straight to grisoft WITHOUT DELAY to install the AVG anti virus and just as I clicked the install button up came the RPC box, which is in relation to the Blaster virus 'I HAD' and thought was gone!

I now think it must be the Blueyonder driver CD that has the virus, is this possible???

After the repair guy reloaded windows and stripped the PC, reformated the drive could this virus be still on the PC and be down to him overlooking it and not the Blueyonder driver CD disc???
OR IS THAT IMPOSSIBLE WITH ALL THAT WORK CARRIED OUT?

The PC shut down then rebooted a few times. Once back online I quickly installed grisoft, AVG and ran a scan which said no virus was detected . . . .screammmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I went to windows update to install all the updates known to mankind but when I ran the 'install the thingy' and restart PC before the scan for updates page shows I now get an error page saying cannot scan for updates and 'send us a error report'. I can't download the updates now, i have rebooted but still this error box shows.

I understand we all make mistakes and in my professional job I am forever messing up so I am ok with that in others to a point, I can put it down to experience and make sure it don't happen again and I am patient and respectful in the face of all this happening, I have to be or it would drive me nuts ha. Already I have lost online customers, it's set me back loads and I have lost 2 years basic work and many software installations and cost me nearly ?300

Now I need to sort this urgently. How would I go about checking if the braodband CD is infected because if i can prove that, I can get a full refund and dump the bills on them and get past this mess.

At this stage I am a bit wary to install the CD in the drive to scan it myself. I have been logged on now for 4 hours with no probs and no RPC box appearing so the plot deepens, it seems the problem remaining is the reboot problem only but once back online it all seems stable, er . . sort of.

I have also been using an old PC with windows 98 and a dial up pay as you go all week but I am too spooked now to install the broadband CD into that one just incase that get's contaminated too.

All this has left me wondering who's advice to trust this end.

Your input/advice/experience would be appreciated to guide me as what to do and how to approach all this especially my thoughts on the CD being virus infected???

Regards
Mike

query

If you're talking about Blaster, no, it wasn't on the CD.  Any unpatched Windows NT/2000/XP/NTServer/2000 Server/2003 Server can get blaster by doing nothing more than going online.

There are other viruses and worms now that can spread with no user intervention.

Here's what you need to do:

Use an antivirus program, running in real time at all times, and keep it up to date.  AVG is OK, but the updates are not frequent enough - choose Trend, Norton, McAfee, Panda -- one of those with daily updates.

Use a firewall and keep it up to date.

Also consider using a spyware-preventer like Hijack Blaster.

When you are online with broadband, you're a sitting duck without the foregoing convention, unless you choose an operating system less vulnerable to common worms and viruses (such as MacOS or UNIX).

steph1

Ok thanks, did not know that. I have AVG installed and Sygate Firewall now.

So the CD is OK then and can safely be installed onto my older PC windows 98 - Yes?

The windows update page says that I may have to go into the registry to correct something so that I can dowload the updates and that this happens when reloading windows?

Instructions appreciated on this
Thanks

query

As long as the disc is spec'd for work with 98, it should be fine.

Does Windows Update not work, or was this system on a corporate network, where the administrator might have disabled the internet update feature?

steph1

Thanks I will check it's spec.

I went to the windows update page and it said install then restart, which I did, then when I returned to scan for updates it says 'error, updates page cannot be displayed'.

When I checked in the help menu it says that if windows was reinstalled I may have to make an ammendment in the registry? Not sure of this?
Thanks

steph1

Any ideas what I can do about the windows update page as below postings? wont load so I can't update.

The PC reboots loads of times on start up even after all the work that's been done. Could there still be elements of the virus left even after windows reload and reformat etc?

Mike

pat

Steph1,
Welcome to poasters.
I merged your last topic back to the original and split it off from the one you asked for help in. You now have your own topic. Please keep an original request for help together in one topic, this makes it much easier for those trying to help you to see what has been discussed and already tried.
Thanks
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

steph1

pat

Try this, turn off Auto Restart in My Computer then Properties then Advanced then Startup and Recovery, then Settings then System Failure. Uncheck Automatically Restart.
The next time you start your computer if an error message is displayed, poast it here so we can see the error.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

steph1

Done that Pat,

the blue error screen that came up said exactly -

Stop: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectadly with a status of
0X0000005 (0X00000000    0X00000000). The system has been shut down.

Did not know what I was doing then!
Hope you can read that?
Thanks Pat
Mike

Whizbang

Regarding the firewall, I have mentioned this numerous times; but the best firewall with broadband would be the hardware firewall in a good router.  It is always up and protecting you, even while you are most vulnerable when you are loading your hard drive.  You can leave your software firewall up, if you are sceptical, so you can check the logs to verfiy that the hardware firewall is working.  A router-based firewall is much cheaper--->no upgrades, permanent, and never needs to be loaded or reloaded.  Many 2-port routers are available for less than the cost of a good software firewall, and you do not need to connect the second port unless you have the need.  If you want multiple access, go for a multi-port router and save even more on firewall protection.

saoirse

The link below, provides some information on your Windows STOP message.

MSDN.

Outlined are a few 'troubleshooting' procedures.

With regards to your Windows Update error:  are there any specifics, such as initialization error numbers?  

saoirse

steph1

Thanks for that, I got lost there though, scrambled my brain.

If I have to put up with the reboot problem on start up then that is what I will have to do for now.

My main concern now is the downloading of updates. I need to update this PC but cannot, when I select  "scan for updates" I get this message

" Windows update has encountered and error and cannot display the requested page"

Is this because windows has been reloaded?

Some help on correcting this in the registry and how to go in and out without messing up would be really appreciated more than any of the other problems I am trying to sort out!

Thanks again in advance.
Mike

pat

Have you loaded any programs onto your computer other than the AV and firewall?
If not it may be easier at this point to either do a repair install of the OS or another format and install.
If you choose to do a repair or format and install be sure to install firewall software or turn on the xp firewall before going back on the internet.

It may also be time to download the diagnostic utility for your hard drive maker, and run it to rule out a failing hard drive.

saoirse

Regarding the Windows Update problem:

Microsoft have documented the error and the registry work-around.  It would seem to be a problem with reloading Windows or Service Pack 1.

Details on opening the registry editor, finding the location of the key, and the changes you will need to make, are provided on the link below.

Microsoft.com.

If you need help with any of the registry editing, poast back and we'll be here to help.

saoirse

steph1

Pat thanks,
I loaded Sygate, AVG, web editor, and spybot, but the reboot prob started as soon as I went online when all was empty but proor to this the repair guy checked it and said all was ok!

Do you mean the diagnostic utility  'house call'  as you pointed out before?

---------------------------

Saoirse thanks,
Yes I would need a step by step on how to do this if that is possible for you to help and guide me through it. (windows XP)

My concern is that I just want the updates in place then I can put up with the rebooting for now, thats the least of my PC probs at the moment.

I can always get a cuppa while its playing up at start up!

Thanks also Whizbang and all others imput has helped.

Mike

saoirse

Not a problem.

Click your Start button and select "Run".  In the 'Open' field, type regedit and then click OK.  The registry editor should then appear.

In the left window, click the + sign next to HKEY_Local_Machine.  You'll notice a few more 'branches' appear.  Click the + next to SYSTEM, and on CurrentControlSet, and once more on Control.  Scroll down to Windows and click this once.

If you've done this correctly, you will see some entries listed on the right.  Double-click on CSDVersion and a box will appear.  Where you see Value Data, change this to 0 (zero).  Now click OK and exit the registry editor from the File menu.  

You must restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

saoirse

pat

No not the house call, while reading through some articles on your problem, I saw a couple of references to that error in conjunction with bad sectors, which could point to a failing hard drive. That?s why I suggested you check the drive. The diagnostic utility would be from the maker of your hard drive. For instance if it was a Maxtor you would use their utility if it was a Western Digital theirs and so forth. Each hard drive maker offers a diagnostic utility to check the integrity of their drive.

Perhaps if you get your computer updated the rebooting problem may sort itself out.

steph1

Ok Thanks Pat, I will check that out tomorow. All this cos of a virus that I overlooked!

The updates are all sorted now Saoirse, still downloading them. Thanks for your help with the registry.

steph1

Nearly there now.

I download all the updates, just two to go.
The service pack 1 says the antivirus must be switched off to avoid interference before installation, how do I do this? Do I just come off line as the second download bar appears when it says installing, I take it I need this update.

Your advice is appreciated
Thanks

pat

Most programs that run in the system tray can be turned off by right clicking on the icon and selecting exit. If prompted with a message like do you want to quit this program, select yes.
You may disconnect from the internet first if you wish.

steph1

So clever you guys!

Learnt loads this week.

Thanks for the replies they have helped so much.
Lots more to ask as and when if you don't mind?

Mike

pat

Sure, ask all you want.
We're glad we could help.   :)

steph1

As I have now updated with 'windows updates' and had windows reloaded etc. I now have the logon page appear at startup, as I have a reboot problem I could do with removing this feature, I would prefer the PC to just arrive at the desktop (when it eventually does after 10 reboots or more)

How do I disable this administrator logon page?

Second problem of many is all my old text files were put back onto the PC by the repair guy after reload, so I no longer have microsoft word, I only have the shell files which I tried to open with wordpad but got mumbo jumbo. One of these files has 300 of my members details on it, so I could do with getting the text out of this, any advice on the please!

I no longer have  the original CD to reload.

My intention is to get this back to some working order for a month or two till I replace it then it can go out of the upstairs window. Concrete down below!

Thanks

pat

Here?s some links you may find helpful.

Some good info on user accounts and logging on.
Kelly?s Corner

To open a word doc. and view it.
Word Viewer

Free office program, can open and edit word doc.
OpenOffice

steph1

steph1

I had previously tried to open the shell with word pad and doc and got the below . . . this is what I get now when I use the viewer I installed! Messed up I think . . . Help!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????                           
                                                            !   "   #   $   %   &   '   (   )   *   +   ,   -   .   /   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   :   ;   <   =   >   ?   @   A   B   C   ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Mark H

Have you tried open office? Are you sure the file was made with Microsoft word?
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

steph1

Yes it was but I opened it with wordpad doc where it says find a suitable programme to open it with, then the code that was originally there changed into further code (as previous post)  so I thought I may have altered it to a point where it can't be retreived.

When I view it in the viewer which pat suggested it just shows up the same, in code

???

Mike