• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Adding SDRAM Memory

Started by Leno, October 17, 2003, 15:46 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Leno

Hello,

I bought my Quantex W-1511 laptop (500Mhz, 128MB SDRAM) way back in 2000 and love it--thank goodness since the company rolled over 6 months later.  However, I am finally discovering that I want to add more RAM to it.  I have never cracked open a laptop (but many times for a desktop) and am unsure how difficult or easy it will be for me to screw up my laptop.  I live in Italy and am my own tech rep should the thing crap out.  

Please help... Also, if you know what is the max I can add that would be terrific.

query

It should be a Compal-built machine with two slots under a trap door at the bottom of the machine.  Up to a pair of low-density (16-chip) 256 MByte PC100 or PC133 soDIMMs should work.

High density (i.e., low-cost) soDIMMs will not work in these systems - buy memory for a Dell Inspiron 5000/5000e and it should work just fine.

Leno

So if I go to a webpage like laptopparts.com and say I have a dell 5000e, they should give me the correct memory?  I hope they don't give me the low cost stuff you mentioned.  Is there anything I need to do configuration-wise once I boot the computer up again?  Thanks again for all the help.

query

Yes, or order from Crucial (link at left) - whatever works in an Inspiron 5000 or 5000e will work in your system.

Leno

Thanks for the help.  I will make an order soon.  Happy holidays

trav

CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR