• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ATI Drivers in Windows XP

Started by Leno, October 16, 2005, 06:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Leno

Hello everyone,

I have a very old Quantex (obviously very old) N30W laptop that originally came with Windows 98SE.  I have since wiped the hard drive several times and currently have Windows XP Pro since 2003.  Only recently have a tried to play DVDs and have received a "Unable to locate Rage 128 IDCT Authentication Driver" for my video card.  This occures whether or not I am using a special DVD player or Windows Media Player.  I have scoured the ATI website for drivers and cannot get any to work...either it cannot locate the hardware or it is not compatible.  Right now it looks like either I go back to Windows 98, forget about playing DVDs on my laptop, or quit trying to hang on to this laptop and get a new one...from a company that will stay in business longer than 6 months after I buy the laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Ciao

Leno

pat

This solution from ATI may help even though it is for win98.
It seems I can?t link to the page directly so here is what it says.

Quote;
This issue occurs because of a filename change in one of our driver components.
Version 3.x of the ATI DVD Player expects to find a file called atimiaaa.dll.
This filename has been changed to atimiaxx.dll in newer drivers.

Solution
To resolve this problem:
?   locate atimiaxx.dll in your Windows System directory
?   copy atimiaxx.dll to a new file called atimiaaa.dll
Detailed Steps:
?   Open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory
?   Locate the file ATIMIAXX.DLL, right click on the file and select COPY from the popup menu
?   Right click on the SYSTEM directory and select PASTE
?   Locate the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Copy of ATIMIAXX.DLL
?   Right click on the file and select RENAME
?   Enter the filename ATIMIAAA.DLL and press ENTER
The ATI DVD Player should now function correctly. (end quote )
To see the full text go to ATI and paste ?Unable to locate Rage 128 IDCT Authentication Driver? into the search box.

Hope that helps.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Leno

Pat,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried that and Windows Explorer cannot find the file...in fact the driver that Windows XP automatically gives the system after wiping clean the hard drive is "ATI RAGE Mobility (COMPAL)."  I have tried updating the driver both from the website and manually with the original drivers from the notebook drivers disk from Quantex.  The drivers from the website will not work because don't recognize the device and say I need Windows 98, and the drivers from the CD will not work on XP.  

I really have no idea where to go with this...perhaps wiping the hard drive again, loading Windows 98 and the original drivers then upgrading to XP--or just forgeting about watching DVDs on my laptop.  This is only really an issue because I am moving and don't have a TV right now, but I do have a lot of DVDs.  Thanks again for the help.

Leno

pat

You may need to install a different DVD software decoder solution.
WinDVD, Cineplayer, PowerDVD.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64