• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

You Know You Are Too Old for Halloween When...

Started by Whizbang, October 31, 2007, 22:09 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

10. You get winded from knocking on the door.

9. You have to have another kid chew the candy for you.

8. You ask for high fiber candy only.

7. When someone drops a candy bar in your bag, you lose your Balance and fall over.

6. People say: "Great Boris Karloff Mask," And you're not wearing a mask.

5. When the door opens you yell, "Trick or .".....And can't remember the rest.

4. By the end of the night, you have a bag full of restraining orders.

3. You have to carefully choose a costume that won't dislodge your hairpiece.

2. You're the only Power Ranger in the neighborhood with a walker.

And the number one reason Seniors should not go Trick Or Treating...

1. You keep having to go home to ---.

(The Link to the Dale Jr. site was in script and would not transfer directly.  Just wanted to give credit, as if anyone would want to claim it   ).

scuzzy

I laughed out loud when I read #7.

Scuzzy; it happens to me all the time.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Shoot, I laughed at all of them.  What's that kitschy webese for that, ILAAOT? 

My wife and I went to our annual Samhain pilgrimage to Outback last night.  I had no intention of jumping up from the couch for 2 hours to pass out treats to small people I don't know, and who will never be in my kitchen.  I figured out parents with small kids take them out, for T&Ting.  Meaning, they're not home, to serve others.  Meaning, the only houses they hit are the ones inhabited by non-Tricksters, such as ours.  Meaning, what's up with that...  So we vacate, and treat ourselves to dinner.  Then wander Barnes & Noble till it hits 7:00.

Ace; yesterday, I dressed up for work as a disgruntled employee.  I told people I'd change into a postal worker in the afternoon.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Quote from: Ace on November 01, 2007, 05:57 hrs

Ace; yesterday, I dressed up for work as a disgruntled employee.  I told people I'd change into a postal worker in the afternoon.

From what I have seen, dressing up as a disgruntled employee is simply going to work in whatever you have on.  A friend of my wife told her that his work over the last two years as a pharmaceutical rep was being examined to see if he would be allowed to continue to work for the "restructured" company, as in company sellout to increase profits for stockholders.  He wonders why his faithfulness to the company for the last 17 years does not count.  Oh,well, I digress, and complain, and gripe.

Bill

From one perspective, the last 17 years did count.  He was paid every two weeks, for 17 years, for what he accomplished, or didn't, during the two week payperiod.  Performance evaluation on a regular, periodic basis is a pretty standard proceedure.

A days' work for a day's pay is a fair exchange. 

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well.  That explains why they're trying to shift me from salaried, to hourly.

I knew there was a catch...

Ace; good thing there isn't "minutely" as an option.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Quote from: Bill on November 01, 2007, 08:08 hrs
From one perspective, the last 17 years did count.  He was paid every two weeks, for 17 years, for what he accomplished, or didn't, during the two week payperiod.  Performance evaluation on a regular, periodic basis is a pretty standard proceedure.

A days' work for a day's pay is a fair exchange. 

Bill
True, but from another perspective, in the businesses I have been associated with, the evaluations are often done by superiors who bypassed the grind of establishing relations because they wanted to go to the top and tell others what to do.  It is a fact of life that is very dis-enchanting.  My wife has a 70 year-old cousin who is continually called upon by his supervisor to tell the supervisor what should be done, even on the cousin's day off.  The supervisor makes about four times what the cousin does for telling the cousin to do what my cousin tells him should be done.   :-\

scuzzy

I'm always telling Ace what to do and I do it free of charge. Even on my days off.

From yet another perspective, we choose where we want want to work. Some have more choices than others for various factors such as education, economic conditions, previous work history, age, handicaps, etc. Most have more choices than they care to admit, but they have plenty of excuses to pass up on job prospects.

I too get calls on my days off for various reasons, and I don't get paid for the use of my time. I often have to do reports on my days off without any sort of compensation. That just goes with my job. I don't like it, but I can always quit and look for something else. But I won't because I have a good job and I need to pay the bills. But if I find myself unemployed tomorrow I'm not going to cry about how unfair life is. I don't believe that my employer owes me anything other than my paycheck for work done, and the promised benefits. I have never believed that employers "owe" me a job, regardless of how long I've worked there.

Just like everyone else I've known, I've also had clueless bosses. That's life in general, which is why the comic strip Dilbert is so popular. Again, I can always quit and go work for another clueless boss somewhere else. I choose NOT to be bitter about those clueless buffoons, as I'm not willing to give them that much power over my life.

No matter how many examples of unfairness and incompetence by employers are poasted here, there are plenty of examples of success. I am anything but a young man, yet I'm only on my third (successful) career. It's because of choices that I made, hard work and dedication, and my work ethic. But if things go sour for me at work, then I'll be looking for a 4th career.

Life goes on, with or without me.

Let's give this subject a rest.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Oh, geez, looks like someone broke the dang lock.  Now that 'someone' is in for it.

Bill; carpe deim.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Whizbang

Around here, Halloween has become a time when adults make fools of themselves and the older kids stay home.  There is nothing more "touching' than to get a shopping cart from Kmart or Wal-Mart and not be able to move it because of all the halloween "hair" wrapped around the wheel.

The most celebration I have ever done on Halloween was to grow a 184lb pumpkin, carve it, put it on the bank of the pond, and then put a light in it.  The thing was so heavy that I had to roll it into place.

Ace

I thought I'd strike here, for awhile.  Just because the door was open.

We used to carve two-faced pumpkins, so they'd glow one in and one out.  We don't have any windows to put them in now or good place to show one, so we stopped doing it.  A giant one out in the dark sounds spooky.  I do not miss sticking my hand down into them, though, to scoop out the goo.  Geaaaghhh.

I do like Dilbert, though.  I guess that's true. 

Ace; I've seen kids at KMart or WalMart or TargetMart that I wish would get their hair caught in the wheels of a shopping cart.
Ring bells for service.