• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 30, 2000, 07:13 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

This is the W95.MTX virus, which is also known by other names. This virus also has the ability to *prevent* you from going to certain anti-virus sites. That way, you can't get the problem fixed. There are other sites that allow you to get a patch, though, including tucows.com (http://www.tucows.com/). You can learn more about this virus by going to http://www.norton.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.mtx.html (assuming the virus will allow you to go to that site)

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Boo

Thanks for the information.  I'll continue to work on repairing it.  Will this attach to regular emails I send (do I need to let my address book know I've been infected)?  Thanks again.

scuzzy

As I understand it, the virus will spread itself through your e-mail until you clean it out of your system.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

n/a

quote:
As I understand it, the virus will spread itself through your e-mail until you clean it out of your system.

Sigh. Yes, indeedee. I did a *.mtx search and sure enough, those three files showed up. I guess even an updated Norton AV doesn't catch everything. But Norton's page also says, "The virus component searches for specific antivirus programs running. If the virus finds one, the virus does not run."  So I don't know if the virus has turned into a worm and infected my emails or not.

Note: I'm editing this so anyone reading this won't panic and waste as much time as I did--those three files in your system DON'T mean you have a virus.

I tried to run the fix from the Norton site according to the directions, but I can't access the downloaded fixmtx program through DOS. I get an invalid directory return, although the program is there. Whether this is virus-related or just another symptom of a degraded OS I don't know.

In fact, this looks like an opportunity for me to try Scuzzy's famous FDISK instructions. I'm overdue for a reformat and reinstall anyway, and it's time I learned the ins-and-outs of partitioning.

Oh, jeez.

If you don't hear from me for awhile, it probably means I've turned my monitor into a planter and gone fishin'. Or I'm still doing backups. Whatever.

If anyone has caught this virus through email from me, I am very sorry. I can only hope that fixmtx works for you and it turns out to be only a minor hassle.

And thanks to Boo for the heads-up.

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-

Don G

Wait One Bear, Scuzzy, et al.,

I also did a *.mtx search as a result of this thread, although I have not been experiencing any unusual symptoms.

Here's what I found:   

Twain001.Mtx (C:/WINDOWS) (1kb) (MTX File) (11/11/00) (1378)   

Twunk003.mtx (C:/WINDOWS) (0kb) (MTX File) (01/09/00)   

Twunk002.MTX (C:/WINDOWS) (0kb) (MTX File) (01/09/00)   

The "1378" is what NotePad showed the contents of Twain001.Mtx to be. I have no idea what this file is, but from the file name I suspect it might have something to do with my scanner. It was on or about that date that I installed my scanner and software for same.  As indicated the other two files were empty.

I then went to the McAfee site (my virus protection) and was told there was an update available. Downloaded that, rebooted as directed and then ran a complete C-drive virus scan, it found no virus(virui)(virus's)(whatever...:))

During all this, I had no problem accessing the McAfee site or it's programs.

Are these the files they are talking about, or do some other programs use .mtx files?

Another thought, although I don't believe I'm infected, could this virus be spread from the automatic notice from this, or any other, site?  If so, are you looking at that?

Also, if someone could explain to me how to line up columns, I could get rid of parens...This program colapses multiple spaces or tabs...help?

Don G
Don G

query

Most virus protection these days will intercept an attempt to infect another system through a web applet or through email or email attachments - if it's up to date.  All three major A/V vendors (Trend, Symantec and NAI) have applet traps and realtime email scanners that should catch infections - IF they're configured for realtime use.

It used to be that scanning a drive once a week was good enough - no more.  You need realtime protection running on your system, every day, and all the time.  And it needs to be kept up to date.

The best online scanner I've seen is Trend's (www.antivirus.com) - you can scan your drive while you surf the net.  It won't provide you realtime protection (but the commercial product - PCCillin, will).

n/a

Hi, Don,

I'm beginning to think something is not kosher myself. I had no trouble updating Norton, and my last update before that was 11-17, yet the AV detects no virus.

I have the same three .mtx files you do, with Notepad showing the contents of the Twain.mtx as 2168. Moreover, it shows the last modified date as 1:20 11\27, and I was using my scanner at that time. No emails were sent or received right then.

I have emailed Norton, and their autoresponse reply boiled down to this: if a tech advises that you have a virus and you don't find it after running the AV program with the latest virus updates, have the tech resume troubleshooting.

You don't suppose Dell tech brushed Boo off just to get her off the phone, do you? Well, pity poor Dell: Boo is my wife, and she's back on the phone to them right now.

As for lining up columns, I haven't tried to do it here. Have you tried the Insert List feature up by the smiley face in the message format tool bar? There's also the blockquote HTML command that recesses the text much like a tab. Use blockquote surrounded by carats (the greater-than, lesser-than symbols next to the question mark on the keyboard) to indicate where you want the indent, then /blockquote bracketed in carats to turn off the indent.

Well, at least my files are backed up. I just may go ahead with the FDISK, reformat and reinstall tomorrow anyway.

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-

Boo

Tonight a different Tech at Dell had me run a chkdsk on my C drive and advised me that no, I do not have a virus.  The only thing different was that I had run Norton's on all files and found nothing.  I guess I worried all day for nothing?  I told the Tech that I didn't appreciate the way my call was originally handled, especially him not even taking the time to do a chkdsk.  What could she say?  Anyway, I guess I'll update my Norton's every day and hope for the best.

By the way, I don't know who Bear thinks he is, saying he's my husband.  Just because I sent him that picture...

Thanks for all your comments.

n/a

Oh, you're that Boo, huh? Sorry, my mistake.

I update Norton's every couple of weeks. Like query says, the most important thing is having realtime Auto-Protect enabled.

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-

Joanie

I have found the same files on my system and had Norton scan each one separately and then did a full system check and no virus was found.

This morning I updated 2001 even though it does this automatically. Do you think I am safe.

Joanie

quote:

Wait One Bear, Scuzzy, et al.,

I also did a *.mtx search as a result of this thread, although I have not been experiencing any unusual symptoms.

Here's what I found:   

Twain001.Mtx (C:/WINDOWS) (1kb) (MTX File) (11/11/00) (1378)   

Twunk003.mtx (C:/WINDOWS) (0kb) (MTX File) (01/09/00)   

Twunk002.MTX (C:/WINDOWS) (0kb) (MTX File) (01/09/00)   

The "1378" is what NotePad showed the contents of Twain001.Mtx to be. I have no idea what this file is, but from the file name I suspect it might have something to do with my scanner. It was on or about that date that I installed my scanner and software for same.  As indicated the other two files were empty.

I then went to the McAfee site (my virus protection) and was told there was an update available. Downloaded that, rebooted as directed and then ran a complete C-drive virus scan, it found no virus(virui)(virus's)(whatever...:))

During all this, I had no problem accessing the McAfee site or it's programs.

Are these the files they are talking about, or do some other programs use .mtx files?

Another thought, although I don't believe I'm infected, could this virus be spread from the automatic notice from this, or any other, site?  If so, are you looking at that?

Also, if someone could explain to me how to line up columns, I could get rid of parens...This program colapses multiple spaces or tabs...help?

Don G

n/a

You're safe, RahRah. What we had here was a tech who didn't do his job right.

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

Joanie

"Sigh" We are all relieved.  Thank you for that good news and I am sure you and your Boo will sleep better tonight.

Which Boo is yours BTW?

RahRah

quote:

Oh, you're that Boo, huh? Sorry, my mistake.

I update Norton's every couple of weeks. Like query says, the most important thing is having realtime Auto-Protect enabled.

Bear

-Learning as fast I can-

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Joanie

Hi Moderator Carol,

How can people do such insidious things as to create something so damaging as a MTX virus. It is beyond my comprehension, where is the thrill in destroying property?

That was a great article, thanks for poasting it.

Joanie

scuzzy

Well, I got home and updated my NAV. I found the 3 mtx files on my computer also, but I did not delete them, as they appear to be associated with my scanner. Regardless, NAV gave my PC a clean bill of health. My guess is that the Dell tech was full of hot air. After carefully reading the virus information at Norton's site, it's obvious the virus does not affect (nor create) the 3 *.mtx files.

Don G

Hello All,

Thanks for all the updates. Guess none of us have anything of concern at this time.

Joanie,

Shouldn't that be Moderatress Carol???...hehe

Bear,

Tried the list function and all it gives you is a one column list but still compresses multiple spaces and tabs to one space.

Ahhh, got it. It's the "Insert Code" button.  Multiple spaces within the "code" and the "/code" are not compressed. Tab doesn't work within these but you can single space to achieve the multiple columns....

test            test             test

See...

Be sure to use the "Preview" button to check your alighnment, but it works pretty good.

Learn something new every day....errr...well almost every day anyway....

Don G
Don G

n/a

Thanks, Don. You just taught an old dog a new trick.

Hope you can watch the game Saturday night up your way. If http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/ouicon2.gif" border=0> doesn't win, I'll never be able to show my face in Kansas again.

Well, until next year anyway.

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

Joanie

Don G, who ever heard of a Moderatress. Are you being silly tonight??

Joanie

quote:

Hello All,

Thanks for all the updates. Guess none of us have anything of concern at this time.

Joanie,

Shouldn't that be Moderatress Carol???...hehe

Bear,

Tried the list function and all it gives you is a one column list but still compresses multiple spaces and tabs to one space.

Ahhh, got it. It's the "Insert Code" button.  Multiple spaces within the "code" and the "/code" are not compressed. Tab doesn't work within these but you can single space to achieve the multiple columns....

See...

Be sure to use the "Preview" button to check your alighnment, but it works pretty good.

Learn something new every day....errr...well almost every day anyway....

Don G

Joanie

query, The Norton 2001 virus protection works in the background at all times and updates automatically while you are online. It also scans e-mail and attachments before you even see them and if anything is found it will fix it or quarintine it.

So far and I hate to say it too loud I have never had a virus.

Joanie

quote:

Most virus protection these days will intercept an attempt to infect another system through a web applet or through email or email attachments - if it's up to date.  All three major A/V vendors (Trend, Symantec and NAI) have applet traps and realtime email scanners that should catch infections - IF they're configured for realtime use.

It used to be that scanning a drive once a week was good enough - no more.  You need realtime protection running on your system, every day, and all the time.  And it needs to be kept up to date.

The best online scanner I've seen is Trend's (www.antivirus.com) - you can scan your drive while you surf the net.  It won't provide you realtime protection (but the commercial product - PCCillin, will).

n/a

Looks like we do need to keep an eye out for this virus, though. It's the lead story in PCWorld's newsletter.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article.asp?aid=35763

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

Don G

Bear,

Don't know if the game will be on locally or not, but will certainly be watching if it is...

Did see them last week and wasn't really as impressed as I would have liked to be.  Sure glad it wasn't Florida State they were against that day, or we'd both really be hiding our heads...hehe

Maybe they were just looking toward the Kansas game and not paying enough attention to the project at hand....hope so anyway....

GO OU...(wish I had those graphics...)

Don G

Edited by - Don G on Dec 01 2000  06:56:46 AM
Don G

n/a

Don, it's supposed to be nationally televised by ABC at 5 p.m. your time, I believe.

Last week we were playing the Aggies in Stoolwater. Nuff said.

Hey, you can use the http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/ouicon2.gif" border=0> graphic any time you want. It's located at http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/ouicon2.gif -- just insert that URL between the image tags that show up when you click on the Insert Image button in the Format toolbar.

If you want to use it elsewhere on the web, use the img src HTML tag -- (img src="http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/ouicon2.gif"). Replace the parentheses with < > and don't forget the quotation marks. Either way works here.

BOOMER SOONER

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

Pete

Ho Bear,

Earlier,read the mtx poasts..

I had updated my Norton AV  w/effective dates of 11/27 and again today, eff date: 11/30 with no problem.I usually do this every couple of days and it sems that new updates are published very frequently.  

Noted in ask Symantec questions re these exact files:(which I also have

Twain001.mtx 1kb 10/15.00...Notepad  101

Both Twunks 002 &003 0kb  4/6/00

Interesting: The question in Ask Symantec re these exact same files, no mention of  any virus or any problem just asked what they might be.

Norton Tech reply:"I understand you have been infected with a virus and suggest you delete these files" then gave url for the Win95.mtx virus explan.

Missed the point completely

So just for the hang of it,I saved the three to a floppy and them from Windows and no problems so far,Scanner works, scans, copies, no problem. and no puter problems either.

Will look for more info here if and when.

Pete
Pete

n/a

Thanks, Pete.

Interesting that the Symantec guy had the same response as the first Dell tech Boo talked to, but neither suggested a chkdsk to verify that a virus was present. Norton did mention it in their email, and that's what the second Dell tech did to rule out a virus on Boo's machine. Sounds like some people aren't getting the full message.

I've been keeping an eye open for more info too, but information on other ways to actually spot the virus is pretty sketchy.

I wonder if the virus is introduced (hence the three .mtx files), but fails to activate and go wormy when the AV program scans it. Though that wouldn't explain why my Twain.mtx was last modified at the exact time of my last scan. Huh.

Anyway, it's good to know we can delete those files (or at least move them to a floppy) without affecting the scanner or the OS.

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

Pete

Another test Bear, et al

Twain001.mtx is associated with the Scanner.

I deleted all three Mtx files last night

Tonight I checked with Find and none existed so I used the scanner several times to copy, scan to, etc,  then checked for the mtx files....Lo and behold, I now have Twain001.mtx back in windows 1KB..12/2/00..10;26PM.... notebook= 5

The Twunk files are still gone and since they were 0kb...as far as I'm concerned no sweat.

This proves that both the Norton and Dell techs jumped to conclusions.....which could be very dangerous to folks seeking tech help

Pete
Pete

n/a

Thanks again, Pete. Looks like you put a capper on that one.

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

da5id

quote:

"Well, I got home and updated my NAV. I found the 3 mtx files on my computer also, but I did not delete them, as they appear to be associated with my scanner. Regardless, NAV gave my PC a clean bill of health. My guess is that the Dell tech was full of hot air. After carefully reading the virus information at Norton's site, it's obvious the virus does not affect (nor create) the 3 *.mtx files." Scuzzy

Same here.

Gene

Pete

Just for the hang of it I put the two 0kb Twunk files back in.

Pete

Pete
Pete

Boo

My Dell Dimension has been acting funny the last two weeks, so I finally called for tech support this morning.  The tech had me search for .mtx files.  When I found 3 he advised me that there is a virus that moves files around and creates these .mtx files.  I proceeded to upgrade my Norton Anti-Virus and scanned my c drive, but no virus was found.  Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions for me?