• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 29, 2000, 08:13 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Did Windows completely fail to recognize the drive? If it is recognized, does it work at all? In other words, will it recognize CDs, but not DVDs?

As for what driver to use, you can always go through your list and install one driver at a time until you find the right one. It's a lousy way of installing drivers, but for some reason Quantex didn't do a very good job of telling people what's inside the CPU box. Heck, at least you have a driver CD. Not everyone got one. Others got drivers that have nothing to do with the computer they bought.

BTW: You were wise backing up your drivers. If nothing else works, you can always reinstall the backup.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

jenkins7

I am also curious.  Win98 seems to find the Toshiba DVD but I cannot play movies at all.  It does howwever read DVD format.  Did you ever get it back working

QQQ

Jenkins7,

If you dvd drive is reading the dvd disks but you are unable to play movies, you probably have to reinstall your dvd decoder sfw.

Some of the other people here can assist you with that.

jenkins7

QQQ,

Thanks for the starting point.  Can you tell me what decoder software will work best with this piec eof junk.  Of course this is my CFO's laptop.  He always was cheap.....

Joanie

Hi Greg1 and Jenkins7,

Welcome to the Forum.  Hopefully you will get your questions answered. The guys here are pretty smart and always willing to help.

Hurry Back,

Joanie

Chandler

If you have a recent Quantex computer, there should already be a software DVD player on the hard drive including the original setup files.  It is the Ravisent SoftCinemaster 99 player and is in the D:\Drivers\DVD-Soft directory on my May 2000 PC.

If you don't have this, it is also on the drivers CD but I've not tried that version.

Alternatively, go to http://www.digital-digest.com and get PowerDVD or WinDVD, both od which are top-notch players.

scuzzy

Welcome to our forum, Chandler, and thanks for poasting your advice. Hopefully it will resolve the problem Greg is having.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

jenkins7

Ok I got a little further.  I tried WinDVD since I had blown the backup away.  It seems to read and goes to a black screen like it is going to start.  Even spins the disk but then nothing.  Am I missing something......

Chandler

Try starting up WinDVD without a DVD in the drive and in Properties, uncheck "Hardware Motion Compensation" and "Startup in full screen mode".  If you have an nVidia video card, the 5.22 drivers may cause freezes when switching to full screen.  The 5.32 and later solve this problem.

If you have a Zip drive too, disable DMA for it and also try out the latest drivers (if you have a VIA based motherboard)from http://www.viahardware.com.  The latest version on this site installs an update for ATAPI devices which both a DVD drive and a ZIP drive use.

greg1

Does anyone know what drivers to load to get

my Toshiba DVD going again? The driver disk shows several types of "DVD" drivers. I just

reinstalled 98 on this box. I did save the Drivers file to the backup section of the hard drive,which I did not reformat.Should I copy this back to c:/windows?