• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Windows XP - Heavy Formatting!

Started by astral_viper, January 14, 2003, 17:08 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

astral_viper

Hi guys!

I am interested in purchasing a copy (Yes, you heard me right; PURCHASING   :P ) a copy of Windows XP Home Edition. Trouble is, I am a frequent HDD formatter, and I am rather concerned about the product activation process and any implications that may come with this.

Can anyone please give me the lowdown? (Thorough explanation pls.) I tried getting support from www.microsoft.com but their labyrinth of useless information and advertising was too deep to trudge through.

I would really appreciate some help on this! Thanks!

query

Basically, after activation (or a couple of them), you will no longer be able to activate over the Internet - you will have to call Microsoft to explain why you're reactivating again.  I don't know of anyone who has been refused a repeat activation - but if you frequently reformat your system, you will need to call Microsoft to reactivate WIndows.  Same goes if you frequently swap hardware - the activation scheme allows for some swapping, but if enough parts are changed, Windows will have to be reactivated though a phone call.

There are copies of Windows XP that do not require activation - but they're OEM (tied into the BIOS on a board from a brand-name system) or corporate volume license agreement units.

pat

If you plan on doing a lot of formatting this may interest you. Read the first article.
This is not a hack or a way circumvent windows product activation, this supposedly will work, but only on the system you originally activated.
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-03-28.htm
Also in PDF format.
http://www.odysseycomputers.ca/images/XP%20ProductActivation.pdf

I haven?t tried it myself yet, but I plan to.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

dcsun

I guess the other option would be to get Windows and the drivers installed on the drive and get it activated, and then make a copy of that drive and remove it.  Then you can continue to use the one until you want to format again, but instead of formatting, just mirror the original hard drive back over and you'll have Windows and the drivers installed and activation shouldn't be a problem unless you're changing the hardware.

Alex

Or alternatively get a "hacked" copy of xp that doesnt require re-activation  :P... i dont know how i know this but i do know people that do  :-X ;)

query

That is not in keeping with policies here at Poasters - nor is it a particularly good idea.  Remember, Microsoft deactivated a lot of those copies when it released Service Pack 1, so it's a risky strategy, absent the legal ramifications.

astral_viper

No, I wouldn't want a 'hacked' copy. Most of those prevent you from successfully installing future service packs; considering the hack files only take care of that sub-application for that particular SP version.

Besides, I'm against piracy myself. I always buy my games, programs etc.

I have an OEM copy of the Windows XP cd. I didn't actually 'buy' a package, but more along the lines of 'bought all the parts and constructed the computer myself.' Im friends with the guys at the PC store I buy it from.

Its just that soon I will be getting an Athlon XP 2600 and Ipax Systemboard; I dont want my copy to be refused activation when I replace the slower chip and board.

Currently its activated fine; I installed on my PC. I called them up and activated without needing to speak to anyone. You just punch in the numbers yourself...

query

When you upgrade the system board, you will have to re-activate the installation, even if you manage to migrate the hard drive over without reinstalling Windows.  If the online activation fails (it might, second time around), you simply call Microsoft and explain that you've replaced the board and they should reactivate it for you.

Only OEM copies sold with brand-name systems (Dell, Gateway, etc.) and corporate volume license copies do not require activation - they're either tied to the BIOS in the system, or to the corporate license agreement signed by the organization that purchased the license.

astral_viper

Sounds good.

I know about having to re-activate once you change board and processor.

I still like to think that Microsoft could have found a better way to protect their OS without us having to worry about whether or not an additional PC fan is going to warp the thing.   >:(

pat

Here is a document from Microsoft; Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP.

Although I?m not really a fan of product activation, I can understand where they are coming from. In my case since I originally activated my copy of XP, I have changed my hard drive and reactivated over the Internet without any problem. I?ve also changed video cards and CDRW drives without any problem.

If I correctly read the part about Scenario A, in the modifications section. This would come close to what you plan on doing and you may not have to reactivate if you don't reinstall windows and providing everything else remains the same. If you reinstall windows you may still be able to reactivate over the Internet without making the call.
Anyway be sure to let us know how it goes.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

dcsun

Yep, I can certainly understand where they're coming from too, but I think it probably just makes life more difficult for the people actually purchasing it.  There are always ways to remove those sort of things, and the people that wish to will always find a way.  As my Grandfather used to say, "locks only keep the honest people out". ;)