• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by pat, July 29, 2001, 10:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Hey Bear,

I say load 'er up. I'm eager to see what you got there for us.

Pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

n/a

Okay, my arm has been sufficiently twisted. The upload has begun, my fingers are crossed, but don't hold your breath.

To keep the bandwidth to a minimum, let's make this a by-request deal. Anyone interested, email me at bear@poasters.com or poast here with a valid email address and I'll send you the download info.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Opera, Pat.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

pat

Sounds good to me, heres my email:

patman's afarid of lurkers

I just started that photoshop elements download.

I was going to just order it but what the heck might as well take it for a spin first.

Pat

Edited by - patman on Aug 01 2001  8:11:03 PM
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

BlueIce

I have been using Opera off and on for a little while now I do like 5.12 the only snag is its add ware i dont mind adware as long as it is not spyware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/manual.html

Becareful with adaware if you have never used it read all you can however if you dont want to use it that is cool too

I cant say no more I think my keyboard is hardwired into Big brothers mainframe

hold on they are at my door

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.poasters.com/images/ice.gif" border=0>

timoch

I've been using O 5.12 for a couple of months, and like it pretty well.  There are a few sites that I have trouble with, and it doesn't work with CNET's CatchUp nor with PCPitstop, so I have to keep IE5.5 handy.  It left a massive folder full of Quicktime Apps for ad banners.  I guess if I send them the money, I can delete that folder.

pat

Well I been using for a few days now and I like it ok. Just takes a little getting used to. One thing, I have a Logitech cordless mouseman and you can click the wheel, and get the web wheel, that doesent work. That takes some getting used to. It's just so second nature to click the wheel and click the back button.

I stll haven't had time to sit down and do some serious browsing, so we'll see.

Pat

I almost forgot, I did run adaware after install, all I had was a few extre cookies that went to cookie heaven.

Edited by - patman on Aug 01 2001  8:19:18 PM

n/a

Guys, Opera comes with a pretty vanilla default setup. Playing around in File, Preferences is half the fun.

First, many sites are coded specifically for either IE or Netscape, with just enough leeway to identify the other major browser and compensate when necessary--in other words, without a truly compliant browser like Opera in mind. So Opera has the ability to "emulate" other browsers in the way a site reacts to it. Check out the Connections tab in Preferences. I have my emulation set now to Mozilla 5.0 to emulate Netscape, and since making that change I've had very few problems with sites misbehaving. You can play around with different emulations and see what works best for you.  

Pat, I don't know if enabling mouse gestures under Accessibility would help or not, or if your mouse software can be tweaked or upgraded to allow it to function fully in Opera. You might check.

Their adware policy is pretty reasonable and straightforward, and you can set what type of ads show up, but I've done away with ads since I intend to keep using it.

Anyway, read their context-sensitive help whenever you have a question, and check out everything you can tweak in Preferences. You'll probably enjoy Opera a lot more.

da5id

I d/l it, like it, probably I'll pay to register.

Off topic - Bear:  Go Best Buy and get DirectPC...400k d/l-up is dial-up, works everywhere.  $150 for hardware plus $49 per month - $42/mon if you'll take AOL.  Sat 2 way w/400 d/l 128 up bout $69...hardware varies, comint to BB this month.

scuzzy

da5id,

It sounded good until you mentioned the AOL part. I believe it's better to spend the rest of one's life watching reruns of old Felix the Cat cartoons than having AOL.

AOL, never. Not in this cat's life. Death before dishonor. I'd rather move to a third world country that doesn't have electricity.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

n/a

Scuzzy's classic line about AOL: "An ISP with training wheels."

Glad to hear the newer version of DirectPC is coming to BestBuy. I hope that means the hardware and professional installation prices  are on their way down. Both were ridiculous last time I checked. Not to mention the $69 a month for the service. That's just sheer greed.

Sounds like they want the first round of customers to pay off their initial investment in the technology, much like when digital tv dishes first came out. Now with more competion in the market they're literally giving those dishes away and still making a nice profit on the monthly fees.

da5id

That's why I said "if you'll take AOL." I heard they were being sued in WA for selling a virus.

n/a

Not only is version 5.12 of the Opera browser available without Bill Gates' permission, Opera now lets registered users configure a customized version for free distribution, so despite the underwhelming response to my Opera 5.11 review from the entire Poasters community, I did.

Poasters now has its own browser, folks, the state of the art Opera 5.12 complete with our Members Directory available from the Hotlist and Archives Search and Active Topics buttons added to the Button Bar. Not to mention our logo beaming from the splash screen.

So if anyone is interested in trying it out, I'll upload it to the server (my feeble connection permitting) and make it available to download from there. If no one is interested, I won't. It's about a ten megabyte download.  

quote:
Over 1.5 million users have made Opera the Web's third most popular browser... Opera is faster and more compact, configurable, and standards-compliant than most browsers. That and a new email feature make Opera 5.x a strong contender in the browser market. Experienced Web browsers and power surfers will learn to take full advantage of Opera's surprisingly powerful capabilities, including how to open multiple windows without running out of memory, retrieve multiple documents simultaneously, and navigate entirely with the keyboard.

---Jonathan Lyster

Author, The Opera 5.x Book: Browsing the Web with Speed and Style