• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

vaio laptop

Started by alfer, November 07, 2003, 03:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

alfer

I just got a new sony vaio laptop model nr PCG-F250. Its working great, I completely wiped the HD and installed winxp. When I boot up, xp's power manager says the battery is charging. After an hour and a half the battery indicator says 100%, but when I unplug the ac adapter the computer shuts down. also when i try to charge the battery with the system off and then try to power on without the ac plugged in, it will not boot, no lights or anything. My question is, does this mean the battery is shot? Would XP still say it is charging it to 100% if it were not working? And finally is there any other way I can test it to make sure im not doing something wrong? Sorry if this is a dumb question, Ive never used a laptop before...

query

It sounds like the battery is faulty.  How old is the laptop?  If it's two years old or more, a new battery is in order before any other troubleshooting is done.

Mark H

Yup, try a new battery. A laptop at work would show that the battery was stuck at 43 percent. It wouldn't budge. If trying battery power, it wouldn't run. In my case it was definitely the battery and I would say the same for you.

Get a new battery and you should be good to go.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

alfer

Great thanks guys. One other question I have, I installed winxp on this machine and when I boot the computer with the external mouse plugged into the ps/2 port, the mouse is very erratic and all sorts of windows open when I havent clicked on them. If i unplug the mouse and plug it back in, the mouse works fine. also if i boot up without it connected and then plug it in once its running, it works fine also. anyone know what might cause this?

trav

mabye there is something regarding the mouse in the BIOS?
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

alfer

nope no settings for touchpad or ps/2 port mouse in the settings :(