• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Compaq armada hard drive

Started by Anonymous User, September 12, 2003, 17:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous User

For a long while, my laptop occasionally made a small click noise while accessing the harddrive. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now it's got worse. I turned on my laptop, and now it goes to the 'Windows ME' screen, makes a click sound, then there is a sound of the hard drive kind of powering up again, and then it tries to load, followed by another click, and then this repeats over and over again.

Any ideas?

I would be very greatful

Edit: Battery??? Why did I put that

query

The hard drive has lost its sector-tracking information.  The sound you hear is the head assembly banging against the bump stop as it seeks in vain for the servo tracks.

It's time for a new hard drive.

Anonymous User

Is there absoloutely nothing that can be done, and as it's a laptop, is it even possible to replace the hard drive?

query

If the drive is recognized in CMOS setup, it may be possible to save some of the data - the simplest way to do that is to purchase a cable that allows you to mount the drive in a desktop computer, and copy what you can from the failing drive to the desktop system.

If the drive is not recognized by CMOS setup - or is completely inaccessible, you might still be able to have data recovered - though the cost is not low (figure on $3,000-5,000 for a 20 gig drive).

Yes, notebook drives are standard and usually fairly easy to replace - they do cost more than desktop drives,  but they're not overly expensive ($100 for 20 G, $150 or so for a 40).

Anonymous User

The interesting thing is the hard drive poweres up and sounds fine to start with, and always runs fine for about 30 seconds, until about halfway through loading ME (and the ME screen comes up) that's when the clicking begins.

If I am to get the harddrive replaced, would it be possible to upgrade the memory of the laptop from 64mb to a bit more so I can install XP on it?

And how would I go about getting it replaced?

Thankyou for your help

query

If the drive is still working, back up your data now, before it fails completely.  It sounds like there are bad sectors in areas of the disc other than where the boot files reside,but it's just a matter of time before the drive fails completely.

It is likely you can upgrade your memory, but we will need the model number before we can say for certain.

Notebook hard drives are available from many good vendors - newegg.com, mwave.com, googlegear.com -- on most notebooks, the drive resides under a hatch at the bottom of the machine, or in a drawer-type carrier - usually secured with one or two small screws.  Other designs place the drive in different locations - if it's easily accessible, it can be changed in about 15 minutes.  If you're not comfortable working with small parts, consult a Compaq repair shop in your area.

Anonymous User

How can I find a compaq repair shop in my area, I'm in the uK

It is an armada 110

Found out something else interesting, I booted into dos mode, and tried lots of file operations, editting large files, doing dir in every directory, moving, deleting stuff, and there wasn't a single click sound.

query

www.compaq.com should have info on repair depots.

DOS mode is less demanding of the hard drive than Windows is, which may account for the missing noises.  I would still use the Compaq diagnostics that came with the machine to test the drive - or open up the machine and pull out the drive, determine the manufacturer (Hitachi/IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu) and download the manufacturer test utility for the drive, and test it.  As I recall, on these, the drive is easily accessible at the bottom of the machine.

You can add up to a pair of low-density PC100 SDRAM soDIMMs
to this system (max memory is 576 MBytes including the base 64 MBytes, which is not removeable).

Anonymous User

So I can add memory to my armada 110 :o ! How would I go about this?

I havent got a diagnostic program for the laptop, it didnt come with it, and as I cant get to windows, I cant do anything to download it.

I did a scandisk in DOS, and the result came out fine?

query

Memory is added in modules - you can add up to a pair of 256s (under a trapdoor at the bottom of the machine).  You can purchase memory from the vendor of your choice - crucial.com is a good one, which I believe has a UK operation.

There should have been a CD that came with the notebook containing diagnostic software.  When you did your scandisk, did you do a surface scan?  If so, and it came up clean, it may be a Windows issue, and not a hardware problem - will Windows start in Safe Mode (hold CTRL down at boot and choose Safe Mode).  If it will, you may simply need to backup your data and restore the operating system (the CD will have come with the notebook).

Anonymous User

I got Windows to boot normally and did some backing up, seemed to be working ok, but then it crashed, when I reset, it clicked again at startup and I cant get back in again :(

I will now try safe mode.

I've looked through my CD's but I cant find a diagnostics one :(

Plus, now my boot disk wont work, it just doesn't recognise it and goes to the normal ME boot screen, and goes into it's click ritual

Anonymous User

Just tried it, safe mode does the same problems, as the clicks start before the OS has properly loaded so it occurs the same in safe mode as it does in normal, still no OS boot :(

Is there any diagram showing where all the compartments are and stuff so I know what is in what?

Thanks

query

The probability is 99% or greater that you have a failing hard drive - back up what you can, while you can.  It's just a matter of time before you try to power on the system and it won't boot at all from the hard drive.

I would not bother trying to reinstall Windows on that drive - replace it first.

The entire service manual is available online at www.compaq.com -- look up Documents for the Armada 110.  The hard drive is under a hatch on the bottom of the system and is fairly easy to remove - you will need a small philips screwdriver, and as I recall, possibly a small nutdriver as well for the bracket.  Any 9.5 mm 2.5" drive will fit just fine - one good example of such a drive is the Toshiba MK2023GAS.

Anonymous User

Would it be better to get the official compaq drive rather than another hard drive?

query

No.  Compaq doesn't make hard drives - there are only four companies in the world that make notebook (2.5") drives - Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu and Seagate.  Compaq uses all of these - and of them, Toshiba and Fujitsu have the best track record;  Seagate is newly back into making 2.5" drives, and Hitachi still sells some IBM drives - some of which have had severe reliability problems (the Deskstars weren't the only ones to have some problematic models - some of the Travelstars are pretty bad as well).

Anonymous User

Well, I emailled compaq and they sent me a link to a page with the spare parts - harddrive for the 110 for $200 - 10gb. Would it be best to go with this one or go looking for another?

Thanks

query

You can get a 5400 rpm, 20 GByte drive for about $90-100 in the US - so that price is extremely steep.  It may include the mounting bracket, but you really don't need that - you can reuse the one you have.

Compaq probably offers a 1-year warranty - Toshiba offers 3.  It's your call, but the OEM parts are by far overpriced for what you get.

Anonymous User

So would this be ok then:

1) Search for a harddrive that is 9.5 mm 2.5". Are you absoloutely sure that any hard drive with those specifications will work?

2) Simply take the old hard drive out and put in the new one

---

If I was searching a hardware website, what would I search for to find a compatible drive?

Does the service manual show how to replace the drive?

query

Yes, any drive of those dimensions will work, and yes, it's a direct-swap.  It does require some work with a screwdriver and/or nutdriver, but it's not overwhelmingly difficult.

You will of course have to reinstall everything to the new drive.

Anonymous User

What specifications would I need to look for for new memory to make sure that it would fit it?

As for reinstalling, how would I do this as I wouldn't be able to use the CD drive would I?

query

Best bet with memory is to buy from a vendor that will match the exact model number of your system (like Crucial).

Yes, you will need the restore CD once you replace the hard drive.

Anonymous User

Interesting, it booted up fully, I was able to manage to backup a few important documents, perform a virus scan and check a few things fine, and it seemed to work with no problems. However, the only thing that seemed out of normal was ICS didn't work, when it normally did, but all the options were set up normally, so the problem wasn't anywhere else, could it be related? Probably not, but worth mentioning.

I'm having trouble finding a hard drive to those measurements, how to start looking?

Thanks

query

All but the largest capacity (60-80G) drives will have the same dimensions.  Start by visiting the manufacturer websites

www.toshiba.com
www.fujitsu.com
www.hgst.com
www.seagate.com

If you have not done a full virus and spyware scan with an up to date antivirus program and SpyBot Search and destroy (security.kolla.de), do so before going any further.

Anonymous User

Already done that on the laptop, came out clean, but surely if there was something wrong with the hard drive, it wouldn't of been able to do the scan so easily?

So what do you mean, they have the same dimensions, do you mean all below 60 - 80gb will fit in the laptop?

I heard from someone that the hard drive in the armada 110 is hidden and not accessible :'( . Can you confirm or deny this?

query

That is why you really should test the drive with the utility from the drive manufacturer or using the Compaq test utility, which is what I suggested earlier.

Most new drives are slimline (9.5mm) and will fit fine.  A few very large capacity drives are still 12 mm and won't fit.

The drive is accessible under a hatch at the bottom of the machine.  It does not require disassembling the chassis to get to.

Anonymous User

In the Armada 110 assembly guide thing, it has these instructions which make it sound a lot more complex:

5?32 Maintenance and Service Guide
1. Prepare the computer for disassembly (Section 5.3) and, in
the order below, remove the following components:
❏ LED cover (Section 5.6)
❏ Keyboard (Section 5.7)
❏ Optical drive (Section 5.8)
❏ Display (Section 5.9)
❏ Heat sink (Section 5.10)
❏ Top cover (Section 5.12)
Removal and Replacement Procedures
2. Remove the three M2.5 ? 5.5 screws 1 securing the hard
drive and hard drive bracket to the base enclosure
(Figure 5-20).
3. Remove the hard drive bracket 2 from the base enclosure.
4. Slide the hard drive toward the front of the base enclosure 3
to disconnect it from the system board.
5. Remove the hard drive from the base enclosure 4.

===

I dont know how to get the compaq test utility, I saw something like it on the site, but how do I get it to the laptop?

query

If that's correct, then there is quite a bit to replacing the drive.  If you are not comfortable with that, then a local repair shop is in order, or Compaq service if the unit is still under warranty.

The Armada series are built by two different OEMs (Arima and Inventec) -- the Inventec units have an externally accessible hard drive.  The Arima units (which are more like the Presarios) are much more difficult to work with.

The drive test utility runs from a floppy disc.  The setup utility (F10 at boot when the flashing cursor appears in the upper right corner)may even tell you what drive is in there - most of the Compaq units I've seen have Fujitsus, but they may be others as well.

Anonymous User

Unfortunately I cannot read the information that comes up when pressing F10, as it flahses on the screen for about half a second, then enters the setup utility

Is there any way to tell the drive type from Windows? In device manager it is only listed as a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 01 :(

Also, it seems to be getting better. I can get it to boot every time and I haven't heard many sounds yet. Is there anything I should do while it is up and running (IE. back up drivers, windows information etc) ?

Also to clarify a little bit, the click sound is less of a click, as it is a clock sound.

query

It still sounds as though the heads can't find the information they're seeking, so a failing drive is still a strong possiblity.  Back up your data at least - drivers, etc. can all be replaced later.

At this point, you'd be better off downloading the test utility from all three major hard drive manufacturers and trying them - one will work and it will be simpler than disassembling the notebook.

www.toshiba.com
www.hgst.com
www.fujitsu.com

Note that if it's an IBM drive, the Hitachi utility will work fine.  I'd start with Fujitsu's utility, since most Armadas I've seen had Fujitsu drives in them.

Anonymous User

Well I read it at startup (I quickly watched) and I saw that it's an hitachi.

I'm not sure which download to get though: http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm