• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by n/a, December 18, 2000, 21:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Yeah, I think you better let me try it out for a couple of years. I'll pay the restocking fee.

Seriously, sounds like a fine machine. Hope she has good luck with it.

http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/bb1cc.jpg" border=0>

Merry HO HO HO--Bear

scuzzy

obiwan,

If I received that laptop for a gift, I'd certainly be happy. Sometimes it's way too easy to get caught up in wanting the latest and greatest, when the ordinary is all we really need. The laptop you selected may not be a barn-burner, but I wouldn't complain. No doubt the laptop will put a smile on your wife's face, who will ultimately put a smile on your face.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0> (The real Scuzzy)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

portablecomputer.com

What type of warranty are you getting with the machine? Lets face it, you can get the best of the best but if you have problems getting support or parts the unit is really no good.

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

n/a

quote:

What type of warranty are you getting with the machine? Lets face it, you can get the best of the best but if you have problems getting support or parts the unit is really no good.

That may be a bit strong. If the unit is really good, support or parts may never be an issue.

It appears to me to be a situational thing. The buyer has to weigh many factors and determine what tradeoffs and risks he's willing to take.

Is there anything specific to Sony we should know about as far as support and parts availability?

http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/bb1cc.jpg" border=0>

Merry HO HO HO--Bear

portablecomputer.com

Actually Sony support is great. But, it depends on where you buy it. For instance if you are buying it though an auction or a consumer you could have problems.

Lets face it. Dell, Sony, IBM, Compaq all have great support. But if you bought it through somebody and they left out some vital information you could be trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I recommend always verifying the warranty with the manufacturer such as Sony directly.

Regardless of how good a product is, the standard is 5% defective return ratio. I do not think anybody wants to take that chance.

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

obiwan

thanks for the input(s)

bear= sure i will let you try it out. waiting for that proverbial check in the mail from you

scuzzy= like your comment as it agrees with me

mcecom= buying it thru bestbuy. standard warranty for one year but tech support for 90 days. can buy additional for, i think around 200.00, service for 3 years in which they cover everything. still checking that out as i can buy the additional policy in the next 15 days.

tech support, i have this forum to turn to.

What if wifeee drops it! thinking about the 3 year policy.

Happy holidays!!

[:-)]

portablecomputer.com

Obiwan,

I was thinking more along the lines of insurance instead of extended warranty. It is cheaper, and covers physical damage. Extended warranties from Best Buy will not cover LCD cracks, or if it is dropped. Which does happen sometimes.

However, you have chosen a good machine. Wish you the best of luck, and Merry Christmas. Please let us know if you have any further question.

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

obiwan

bought a new laptop for wifee.

sony pcg-f630

amd k62 566.12g.13.3 tft.dvd

any thoughts on this?

she needs it basically for run of the mill stuff but the only requirement being tft screen that is reasonably sized for image viewing.

i can still return it for a) better deal b) really negative comments, in the next week for no restocking fee.

await response(s) with baited breath

-I moved this to the Laptop forum where laptop owners might find it and provide comments. -Bear