• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by QQQ, November 30, 2000, 21:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

QQQ

Hi Obiwan,

Is it Obiwan, as in Kenobe (sp?)?  Ok, so now you know I like Star Wars.

You might be able to get a port replicator from BizCom Electronics and 3Klix, which are listed on the resource page.

You seem to have tested windows 2000 since you determined it crashes less frequently than 98, but on what type of system were you using 2000?

Before you take the plunge and upgrade your OS, there are many things which need to be taken into consideration.  First, and as increduluous as it may be to believe, there may be a factor *other* than your OS for the crashes.  Do you clear out all of your caches, etc, EVERYTIME you get off line?  If you are manually removing these files, then you really aren't clearing all of the garbage which dl to your sys, without your knowledge and without your consent.  You may want to try Window Washer.  It's a great little proggy to delete all of the garbage, and you can configure it to retain the cookies, etc, that you would like to keep. Another program to try would be Ad-Aware.  It removes "spyware" from your system.  Spyware is incorporated into several programs and "phones home" periodically telling it's creator things about you that you might prefer to keep private.  Be forewarned, though, some programs will not operate if you remove their spyware.  So, before running Ad-Aware, make sure you have the installation sfw for everything on your sys.  A good firewall program such as Zone Alarm will alert you to when the spyware is trying to phone home and will allow you to block it's access to your internet connection.

After you give the hdd a good cleaning, defrag.  You will not only reclaim a lot of space from the removal of the garbage, you will also increase the efficiency of your drive.

I guess I should have mentioned the first thing to do before any of the above procedures is to run a thorough virus scan. Those little fuglies can exacerbate windows propensity for crashing.

If, after you have scanned, cleaned and defragged and you are still having problems and you are intending to upgrade your OS, be advised that your sys was built before that OS was released and you may run into difficulties.  BEFORE taking the plunge, in addition to completely backing up your sys, go to the websites for each of your components and see if they have drivers which would be compatible with 2000.  Also check to see if they recommend whether or not you *should* use 2000 with their components.

Joanie

Hi Obiwan,

Welcome to the chat. I see one of our moderators has come to your rescue.

Good Luck with your problem and please hurry back.

Joanie

obiwan

Thanks for the input. I do diligently clean out everything of the cache etc as I am a little paranoid (good thing!?) I will try the programs you mentioned.

I am using windows 2000 along with office 2000 at work on a machine designed for w98 originally and also used it over the past few weeks on a friend's laptop that had w98 to begin with.

Why upgrade? w2000 and office 2000 are available at minimal cost for personal use where i work and i do not want to use wMe.

on the money with star wars.

obiwan

hello everyone

where could i get a port replicator for my laptop?

should i upgrade to windows 2000 ? it is available to me and seems to crash less often than the w98se currently on my laptop