• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Network Reconnection Problems

Started by Allie-Baba, October 07, 2006, 21:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

I have a Dell Lattitude D-400 with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 and built in Wi-Fi.  I have both wireless and wired networks at work and at home.

Almost everytime I change networks, or at least network types (i.e. going from one wired network to wireless either at work or at home or from work to home, or from home to work) I find that I cannot get the PC to fully connect to the new network.  Usually, I can connnect from wired to wired.  Basically, I can get a wireless network association for example, but usually the PC won't be able to get an IP address.

It's a royal PAIN because I must reboot the PC almost every time I change network or network type.

Rhelp!!!!

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

pat

Perhaps one of these commands would help.
ipconfig
I?m thinking ipconfig /renew
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Allie-Baba

Tried that and others ........Tried the disable and re-enable path. Tried the uninstall and reinstall drivers path.  Tried the uninstall and reinstall device path.  (Sorry - should have been more specific).

I guess I'm wondering if others are seeing this issue.  I know others with the same installed image are but I've tried to go through my IT department and they admit there is a known problem - but they don't know what it is.

THNX
BRAD

Ghost

Can't you just go into manage Wireless connections and try re-connecting there?
1. Asus P4P800 SE 3.0Ghz Intel with hyper threading and 1 Gig of OCZ premium 400Mhz dual RAM. <br />2. Averatec 3200 series AMD 2000 laptop with 256MB\'s of RAM

Allie-Baba

that never works either.  :-\

It connects "physically", so to speak, but then it never gets an IP address.  I've tried all sort of settings in the TCP/IP settings to no avail.  I suspect it has to do with the DHCP servers associated with each network and their IP addresses and/or their network masks - but nothing I change ultimately has an impact.

freelance

its because the dhcp pools on both networks are either the same or overlapping, and its trying to assign a ip that you already own so to speak.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Allie-Baba

But then wouldn't one expect the "release" command to work? - and then be able to re-establish a new IP address?  That never works though.

THNX
BRAD

Ghost

Is it possible for you to assign an ip address to this laptop via mac address. Perhaps this would clear up the problem
1. Asus P4P800 SE 3.0Ghz Intel with hyper threading and 1 Gig of OCZ premium 400Mhz dual RAM. <br />2. Averatec 3200 series AMD 2000 laptop with 256MB\'s of RAM

Allie-Baba

That's n interesting thought Ghost - I'll have to see if my router supports that.

THNX
BRAD