• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

XP Hotfix Problems Thread

Started by Chandler, April 20, 2008, 04:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

This thread is for listing Windows XP hotfixes which have been found to cause problems.  Anyone is free to add a hotfix to this list but please explain what problems it creates - don't just list a hotfix as bad without explanation.

Chandler

KB938828

After installing this hotfix, I found Explorer.exe would crash at various times after having been stable for 2 years.  One way to definately create a crash is to right-click on My Computer and select Properties from the Start menu immediately after bootup.  I never found a solution to it and uninstalling the hotfix resolve the crashes immediately.  Ironically, this hotfix was intended to RESOLVE crashes in Explorer.exe but in my experience it actually creates them!

Bad Explorer.exe - 6.0.2900.3156
Good Explorer.exe - 6.0.2900.2180

Chandler

KB918005

After installing this hotfix, certain non-standard USB devices (i.e. things other than basic USB mice, keyboards, mass storage devices) could on occasion generate a BSOD in usbehci.sys.  Devices particularly affected are DVB-T adapters using DiBcom chipsets - many of the USB stick-type TV tuners fall into this category.  Uninstalling the hotfix and rolling back to the SP2-level USB drivers resolved the BSOD problem immediately.

Bad usbehci.sys - 5.1.2600.3020
Good usbehci.sys - 5.1.2600.2180