• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Wirless help

Started by wonderings, February 16, 2007, 06:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Well today I tried to go wireless with my desktop pc. I hooked up the d-link g router, no problems. Ran the software disk that came with it and it worked. Next step was to hook up the pci wireless card. Well something must have happened when I used the disk that came witht he router, because now my dvd drive does not work and I get some logitech updater problem. Anyways, I go on my mac, put the wireless card disk on my usb flash drive,then transfer that over to my vista machine. It installs right, I see my wireless network, but it never askes me for a password for the network, so I cant connect. I take off the security for my wireless network, and now I can connect wirelessly. Though this is not what I want, I want a secured wireless network. So my problem lies with the router not Vista, though the dvd drive not working is a real pain in the ass. I have never setup a wireless network so the problem could be in my court. When I am in the router and  in the wireless settings, I turned security on to: Enable WEP Wireless security basic

WEP Incription 64 bit
key type Hex
default WEP key 1
wep key 1: put in my password
wep key 2 - 4 is just filled with zeros

Am I doing something wrong here?
15 inch PowerBook 1.5 ghz G4 2 gig ram DVD-RW 80 gig HD  
Dual 1.8ghz G5,  8X DVD-RW, 2 gig ddr ram, 160 x 2 gig HD
Dual 2ghz G5 DVD-RW, 2gig ddr ram, 250 x 2 gig HD
Lacie F.A. Porshce 160 external FW HD
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA
1, 17 inch Samsung 172x LCD displays DVI
1, 30 inch Apple HD Cinema

wonderings

thanks JA, though as soon as I typed that post, I went downstairs to try it one more time. I dont know how I Didnt see it yesterday, though a fresh mind does help. I think I right clicked on the network, and I could see properties or preferences, in there I put it my password. Wireless secure internet now! I think it came with a 1 year free version of Network magic, I did install it, but have not really taken a look at it yet.

thanks again for the reply
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

I just have to figure out whats going on with my dvd drive. I think something with my wireless keyboad and mouse drivers is messing up somehow. I get a logitech update error thing, I will look at it again when I get home.  So everything is great in my PC except the dvd drive. Though I was going to be buying a Pioneer DL burner soon anyways.
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

I did not update dvd drivers or firmware. I all worked fine up till the time I used the router cd to setup my router. I dont even know what kinda of dvd drive is there. When I look under hardware in Vista, it tells me the dvd drive is working normal. I dont get any error messages when trying to use the dvd drive, it just never loads.
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

My macworld is no where near this complex. I dont know how you guys do this all the time. I bough a dual layer pioneer burner for my Dual G5 2 weeks ago, I pulled the old one out, plugged the new one in. Then I started using it. My video card, I connected  it, closed up my computer, plugged the dvi cable in, turned my computer on. Then I started using my monitor. The wireless network at my parents place, I put the wireless card in my moms laptop (under the keyboard). I then started up her computer, turned on wireless in preferences. Then I she surfed the net wirelessly. I will definitely not be staying in the windows world at home or at work. But I still like to know whats going on on the other side of the fence. I am a nerd after all, so I like it all! (just some better then others)
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

find yourself a mac mini with intel core duo, just to play around with, and you can have windows running natively on it as well.
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

the more RAM the better. That goes for Vista as well.
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA

wonderings

Thats one of my biggest complaints with Windows in general. Its not very good at multi-tasking. Vista is better, but not there yet.
1 BenQ 15 inch LCD VGA