• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by mcoley, April 17, 2001, 16:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mcoley

It's been a while since I've actually tried, so I tried it again and have a few clarifications/corrections:

I *CAN* copy data from a DVD-ROM.  It's only playback that is affected.

When it locks up, the computer locks solid.  The video stops, but the audio sits there and skips, playing a small segment of the sound over and over again.  Control-Alt-Delete doesn't work.  CAPS LOCK doesn't even change the Caps light.

Michael Coley

portablecomputer.com

We have seen this problem with other repairs here and each needed the CPU replaced. I am not 100% saying this is your problem, but it is what we have seen. Which DVD Player version are you using and what is your BIOS version?

Wesley Forrester and John

Media Computer Enterprises

www.mcecomputers.com

www.portablecomputer.com
Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

mcoley

I'm using the Mediamatrics DVDExpress software that was included on the laptop.  It's version 5.00.00.15.1(1).  I've also tried WinDVD and the results are the same.

The drive is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2302 with Firmware revision 1013.

Phoenix BIOS version 1.01A.

Michael

portablecomputer.com

Your BIOS is very old. What is your e-mail address? I will send an updated BIOS.

Wesley Forrester and John

Media Computer Enterprises

www.mcecomputers.com

www.portablecomputer.com
Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

mcoley

I've had a Quantex laptop with DVD-ROM for over a year, and from day one I've had the following problems with the DVD-ROM:

1) Sound level is WAY too low.  I can turn it all the way up and it has to be entirely quiet to hear it.  Sound from all other sources is fine.

2) After a couple minutes of playing, on average, the computer locks up.  This is the same whether I'm playing a DVD or just trying to read data off of a DVD-ROM.

It's a Toshiba SD-C2302 DVD-ROM.  My laptop is an N30W.

Any help or advice on either issue would be much appreciated!

Michael Coley