• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 13, 2000, 15:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Well, yes and no. What I do is create several partitions on my hard drives, and I reserve 3 partitions for the purpose of copying CD programs. For example, the 3 partitions I created for this purpose are each 750MB in size. I then copy an entire CD to one of those partitions, then I run the installation directly from that partition. The installation program then installs the program just as it would from the CD. When I run the program, it refers back to the partition where it "finds the CD". However, this approach will normally not work when you simply copy a CD to a folder on your hard drive (as you would have to do). In other words, for this to work properly, you normally have to dedicate an entire partition to the CD. Even with this method, though, you won't be able to copy certain CDs to the hard drive because of the compression that's used on some of those CDs.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carol

Thanks Scuzzy.  I believe I actually understand what you meant!! I guess I will just run it off the CD because I don't think that I want to format and make particians again right now.
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Neon

There is a software solution to this, if you have the disk space for the CDs. There is a program called Virtual Drive 2000. When you install it, it fools your computer into thinking that it has another ("virtual") removable media drive. Yet, the files are actually located on your hard drive. No partioning is required. It allows you to do just what you are talking about, and in practice multimedia apps run faster, because files are accessed from the hard drive rather than the CD-ROM drive. Check out www.farstone.com. It's a $35 program, downloaded from http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0012I0,.html

Edited by - Neon on Nov 14 2000  8:34:46 PM
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Carol

Thanks Neon.  I have plenty of hard drive space but only wanted to put that one CD on so it really isn't worth the money to do that.  And even if I did it would have to be very simple to use.  Thanks for the help though.

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Carol

When you helped my reload my Windows you had me do it so that everything was on the computer.  Is there a way to do that with other CD's-programs?  I would like to be able to put the Encarta Dictionary and the other books that are on the CD the same way so that as the boys need it for homework we don't have to stop and get CD it would all be on the computer?

Thanks Carol