Author Topic: Mandriva Linux 2007 - DMA Disabled  (Read 823 times)

Offline Chandler

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Poaster
    • Quantex Zone
Mandriva Linux 2007 - DMA Disabled
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:52 AM »
I've been using my old Quantex system (Pentium III 650MHz) for CCTV with Mandriva 2007 and ZoneMinder.  Initially it was very crash happy but I rolled back to an older motherboard BIOS, and relaxed all memory timings and it's been stable for just over a year now.

The load averages were very low just monitoring a single camera so I decided to set it up with Samba shares too but everytime I tried to copy files to its shares, the load average went through the roof (as in 3.0+ on a single core CPU!).

I looked in the list of processes and saw that they only added up to around 20%, so 80% of the processors time was being used up by something else.  Then it occurred to me that perhaps DMA had "become disabled" so I set about looking for instructions on how to enable it, and then I discovered that it's disabled by default on some Linux distributions for stability issues with certain chipsets.

After enabling DMA, the system is running far smoother.

Offline Mark H

• "H" is for handy
  • xTreme Poaster
Re: Mandriva Linux 2007 - DMA Disabled
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:40 AM »
I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 2500 system that I build around 2000, so I think my system is newer, but it is still obsolete and being put to good use.

Mark H; Are computers really obsolete?
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Offline Chandler

• Universal Moderator
  • xTreme Poaster
    • Quantex Zone
Re: Mandriva Linux 2007 - DMA Disabled
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:28 PM »