• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Need a PCI card that records component input in HD

Started by Carskick, July 07, 2007, 12:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Carskick

All the HD PCI cards I find online use a DTV tuner to play and record HD broadcasts over air. Well, I don't want or need that. I have an HDTV cablebox, which ouputs HD on it's HDMI and component outputs, and SDTV on it's coax. The HDMI goes to the TV, and I would the component to go to the PC to be recorded. Also, if it had coax or optical audio input, that would be a plus as well.

I would like to be able to choose whether to record in 1080i or 480i, depending on whether it is incoming as an HD signal or not, and if I want to make it into a DVD. If anyone knows any good products like this, please let me know. I have the Hauppauge PVR-150 now, and it is okay, but doesn't do HD, doesn't have component in, has less than perfect software, and should be outdated for it's encoding.

Thanks!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Buffalo2102

Component is an analogue signal so you are basically asking for a HD encoder in your PC.  I doubt very much if you will be able to get one of those any time soon.  Not cheaply anyway.

You would be better off getting a graphics card/motherboard with HDMI interface as the HDMI is already encoded HD and it also carries the audio.  All you are asking the PC to do then is record the raw digital bitstream.  If you need the HDMI for the TV then you can buy a HDMI splitter/switch.

I have seen several graphics cards/motherboards with HDMI interfaces but I havent looked into whether they are inputs or outputs and whether they are designed to do what you want to do.  You also have to be wary of HDCP copy protection.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.