• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, November 19, 2000, 14:38 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Hey Mitch,

We are happy you found us and hope we can solve your problems.

I am at a disadvantage by not having a  DVD or CDRW but we have many qualified poasters here that should be able to help.

The fans Quantex put in their systems have been terrible and most of us have replaced them.

Your CDRW and DVD compatability issue will have to be answered by one of our resident experts.

Most of us feel it is more expensive to build your own system than it is to buy but since you have your own components it may be different.

Lets see what the guys say about all this.

Your questions are more than welcome so don't ever think you can have too many.

Joanie

scuzzy

Hello Mitch,

Sorry, I've been slow at getting back to people lately. However, let me answer some of your questions. DVD-ROMs and CD-R/Ws are compatible. Of course, you won't be able to copy a DVD movie to CD-R/W, but you'll have no trouble copying data to CD from a DVD-ROM. As a matter of fact, I currently have a DVD-ROM and a CD burner in my Dell.

As for upgrading vs. buying, it all depends on how much you're willing to invest. You can do well purchasing a new case w/ motherboard (mobo), CPU and power supply. Then, you can transfer many of your current components over to the new case. Of course, you could run into problems along the way. For example, the RAM you're currently using may not be compatible with the new mobo, or you could have problems trying to configure your old soundcard, modem, video card, etc. So, much of it will also depend on your confidence to overcome *possible* problems. How are your troubleshooting skills?

Also, nothing wrong with having 3 hard drives. I'd recommend using a separate IDE controller (unless you're running SCSI hard drives) and a power supply that won't buckle under the added stress. You'll probably want a power supply that's in the 225 to 250 watt vicinity. The last thing you want is a power supply that's overheating, or one that's shutting down on you. As for the fans, ball-bearing fans are far superior to shaft sleeves.

Here's an excellent place to purchase high quality cases, fans, power supplies, and bare systems: http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/index.htm

Thanks for visiting us, Mitch. Please feel free to ask any other questions, and don't forget to tell your friends about this site.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

mitch

Hello all,

I am new here and glad to find this site.  I checked out the archives and it seems that there is good advice and problem solving going on around here.

I have recently become aware that I am not alone in having problems with my Quantex PC (QP6/400 M-3X) through QuantexS**ks.org.  This worries me somewhat.  My problems have been minor, but may have some major circumstances (from the beginning - missing internet order - should have gotten the clue right then, noisy fan, video card problems, monitor trouble?) Though things are running smoothly now I have decided that it may be time to look for solutions. This seems to be a good place to get some insight and enlightened opinions.  

Background -I am a relative newbie when it comes to hardware.  I have done some simple tinkering under the hood (added RAM and replaced modem) but want to know more about upgrading my whole getup or simply purchasing new and adding on components of my current system.  So...what can I take with me?  Or... what will be lost if I do either?

I would like to add on a CD-RW drive but there is no room in my tower.  Will a CD-RW drive be compatible with my DVD ROM?

Can I buy a custom system with tower, CPU, motherboard, power supply, monitor...and add in my stuff?  

hard drives (2), zip, floppy,  DVD ROM to a new computer with a larger tower (with a CD-RW installed) without loosing programs and files installed?  This way I could get the bennies of a new motherboard, CPU, hard drive, fan, monitor?while hanging on to all of my programs, files already installed on my Q.

Is it cheaper to build my own system?  Will I pull out all of my hair if I attempt a custom built system on my own?

Are 3 hardrives plus all these add-ons in one tower outrageous? (I guess it depends on CPU, RAM?)

It would seem possible to network the new and old systems but is this advisable (sp?) and will communications between towers be much slower?

I hope this isn?t too much to ask.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

mitch