• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

YOUR AMERICAN IDOL

Started by Ace, February 27, 2008, 11:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

No, not me. Criminy. 

As pronounced elsewhere in the Poast of The Heavenly Light, I concur with Johnny that David Archuleta is the top male singer and top all around singer and pretty much top of the pops singer on this season's American Idol. 

For a change, I think the male contingent outweighs the female side, in talent.  Not like in Biggest Loser, when the male side simply outweighs the female side, period.

I also like that Australian guy who led off last night's episode, although I don't know his name.  I did agree with Simon that the rocker guy with the Les Paul (who was more focused on the guitar, than the singing) lacks charisma.  Honestly, he reminded me of Jack Black playing a rocker.  But he is better than that long haired guy who can't even compete with Bo Bice, let alone real legends (Paul Rogers, Lou Gramm).   But I thought it weird of Simon to say he oughta not mention liking wordage and crossword puzzles, but go with something like the other guys (tennis. dragracing...?).  I mean, what do you want him to do, invent a hobby?!  Fake one?  Geez...

Also, someone should remind Simon of how the show works.  Just for fun...  Paula seemed on some substance (no, not "video") as she continually didn't agree with Randy and then explained how she actually did.  And I did not understand just what she wanted to DO to young David; squeeze his head and then hang him from her rear view mirror...?  He needs to keep his distance, from her.

Ace; Paula's Back.  Better than her front..

Ring bells for service.

pat

Now here's a topic I know absolutely nothing about, just never watched the thing.

So.......I will nominate Ace for his longest running topic on the SLI thing in the history of Poasters. Well, since the dang pizza one anyways.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I'm considering monkeying around with the admin settings to where each thread can hold 500 messages. That will bring the SLI thingy poast back down to a manageable 1 page.

Scuzzy; it never should have exceeded 2 poasts to begin with.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Well, if you guys would've figured it out sooner it woulda been one page.  Geez, blame the non expert.  There used to be pity, for fools.

Alright, last night's idol probably oughta concentrate on the physical since the vocal left something to be desired.  I do like the Irish girl, and hope the admin settings limit her to just the one arm tattooed.  People who work in tattoo parlors need to limit their exposure.  I usually like the skunk haired rocker, but not on a Kansas tune while stomping around dressed like that... Then there's the attractive Carrie Underwoodwannabe (once she gravitates toward Country, per Simon's advice) and a lotta "yawn."  I didn't get a big thrill outta the Nanny's "You're So Vain" but they liked it... She does have a style, at least.  It's a song that needs all the supporting vocals (Mick..) to me.

Some dumb songs... Having lived through 70's music I know the ones to avoid. 

Ace; still waiting for a show-filling rendition of "In-A-Gadda-La-Vida."  Baby.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

In the interests of wanting to make a contribution in a thread where I am musically in the dark, I watched most of the show (8 of 10?) last night. 
My best of the evening was the blonde that did the Carley Simon "Vain" number.  Just imagine, walking and chewing gum at the same time!

" I usually like the skunk haired rocker, but not on a Kansas tune while stomping around dressed like that..."  Kansas?  There was some reference to "Janis" during her debriefing, I just assumed it was Joplin.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

"Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas was the song last night.  Which, is pretty much a stupid choice anyway.  She shoulda gone with something bluesy as Simon suggested. 

I'm hoping the dreadlock guy gets sent home...  And the one who did Doobie Bros. while grinning through it.  Jason?  I really don't know their names (and won't have to, for most).

ace; RIP Katherine McPhee, Blake, Fantasia, Taylor Hicks the Hick...
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I liked her too; that and the "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" K.T. Tunstall cover.  As time passes, some of those from before are even more impressive, in comparison to "now" (Chris Daughtry, Bo Bice, and of course Kelly Clarkson).

But not Justin Guarino.  And not Kelly Pickler.  Geez.

It's too bad she and other "winners" seem to not get much (good) advice as far as career planning and management...  They look like they're set to sink or swim on their own, and there's not a lot of attention to how to help them "make it."  Witness Kat's 3 or so style changes and makeovers... plus personal "developments."  There really aren't "pop" stars any more, so it's pretty much a senseless pursuit and premise anyway...  Everybody has a niche carved out, and best you can do is be at the top if it.

Ace; they should try a Jester competition.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

I pretty much agreed with the push off, last night...  Very much wanted to see Dreadlocks and Smiley on the boys and "Campfire Girl" on the girls... was pretty shocked at the nastiness of the "surprise" pulled on the Olivia Newton Johner.  I thought she really sings well, and figured the sneerer would be it.  But what was the deal with the maternity blouse (?) and the unwashed hair..?  Yeeech. 

and what is the deal with little David and that taller campfire girl and whatever is the relationship in that he was crushed and crying and they clinched?  Weird...  That is one depressing cryathon.

Ac;e not like Simon's gonna offer consolation.  I'll have to check back on Paula's prediction they'll all be stars and just fine. 
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I wish the bride of Frankenstein would have been voted off. She has to be the worst of the bunch. I think both girls who left yesterday, were voted off too early. I think the Amanda (the rocker) and Katy should have been gone.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

"Bride of Frankenstein".. heh.  That beats "skunk hair."  Good one.

Yes, I actually thought she was fine, for awhile.. I really liked her doing the Van Morrison "Baby Please Don't Go (Down to New Orleans)..."  But man, she is almost atonal now.

It's funny to start comparing someone to Janis Joplin... I always liked Janis Joplin, and tonight I listened to her from  Montery Pop doing "Down on Me" and "Ball and Chain."  I'll tell you, NObody really is like Janis Joplin.  Not only could she hit notes like a horn player blowing octaves, but she'd bring it down imMEDIATELY into a purr...  It was quite an instrument.

I gotta look up who Amanda and Kady are.. I am lousy with names, with these people.

Ace; as in "try to remember who won 2 years ago"... (and figure whoever was 2nd is doing better anyway)
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I see Kady ("The Sneer") Malloy's favorite saying is "Carpe Diem."

Ace; "seize the carp"....
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I saw that too Ace. While I don't care for Amanda, I think that she has more character and substance than Katy after looking at their answers to questions. Of course, Katy is only 18 and Amanda is in her mid 20's, but people don't change that much at this age point.

Mark H; I don't want either one to win.

Bill

I'd suggest that you not get too involved with Idol.  Dancing with the stars will be back 3/17 and then you can forget about Simon.  It's his last season anyway!

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Oh, I'm ok with Simon winning.  Heck, I'd rather hear him sing than listen to Paula dance.

Geez; why's he gonna quit?  What else is he gonna do in life?  Otherwise, I don't see those two ladies going anywhere either. 

Now, if you wanna see a really good head of Bride of Frankenstein Skunk hair, check out the Horror Pops.  Plus, they sound better.  Scary Rockabilly beats pop anyday. 

Ace; I'd rather not see Paul Simon win, though. 
Ring bells for service.

Ace

This just gets curiouser and curiouser...

I'd have to say, of all the American Idol contestants whom I would want to recognize as an ex-stripper, David Hernandez would not be.  One.  Whom, I would.  Uh uh.  Eech.

Criminy..  we need more clean-cut Nannys and not some scuzzy sorry sleazy ne'er do well lowlife with a bad attitude or past record of malfeasance.  Or just creepy moonlighting jobs. 

Ace; if some guy tried to dance on my lap I'd kick him.  I sure hope this place isn't crawling with kids, today. 
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I hope David Hernandez is gone ASAP. We don't need his kind as a role model for today's youth.

Mark H; I think the thought is disgusting.

Ace

He might be, even prior to tonight...  Gotta figure they might feel compelled to uphold their "morals-decency-no gross out" clause.  As several in the past were sent packing once their past was revealed.  Lots to reveal, in his case.

Eech.  I gotta quit thinking thoughts.  That's disgusting. 

Ace; now when I think of Scuzzy that cop from Village People springs to mind...
Ring bells for service.

Ace

Well.  No "full Monty" from little David.  Heck, no partial Monty... No Monty Python.  Nuthin'.  I am glad he at least didn't attempt to "Jitterbug."

I'd recommend a full Nelson, actually.  Otherwise, I still like the Aussie guy best and the other rocker did a'ight and David A. was ok but I didn't mind he got up from the piano, personally.  He's a lip licker.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'd like to see the "high talker" go, who started the show.  Only thing I can figure is he's the soprano in his acapella group.  And Danny the Purple can take off, far as I can vote. 

You know, really, we oughta be able to vote OFF whom we DON'T want.  That's the focus of the show; not vote "IN" whom we want to stay...  Every other show of survival does that focus, and this one should too.  Ought to be able to boo them right off the stage.

Ace; and down the street.  And around the corner.
Ring bells for service.

pat

OK, just what night and at what time is this show on anyway?

I just have to watch it and see what all this fuss is about.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

I've been waitin' all day for Sunday night...but where the heck were Al and John?  The skunk-haired rocker chick nailed it.   She did an outstanding job with the music but where those lyrics came from is beyond me!  Asia and the last Whitney wannabe were pretty decent as well.  The rest can go home.....

Bill

Ace

Shoot, I've been waiting all week for Friday night.  Or Saturday morning.  Sunday night is the end of the weekend...

Geez Criminy, Pat, the dang show is on most every dang night.  It's on Tuesday night for the men, then Wednesday night for the women, then Thursday night for the elimination of men and women.  It's on Fox.  Like a tree falling in the woods, you can't miss it.

Skunky was in her element.  I like the Nanny, too.  Just because whatever she does is a lot different than the song usually comes out.  Paula was drunk again it would appear.  What a babbling mess.  I guess the short stocky one that sounds kinda nasal was my least favorite.  I'm not sure why the one with the Mickey Mouse hair keeps doing these MOR ballads; she has a good voice but they seem too sedate and repetitious.

Oh; and the Irish chick is still my favorite.  She's like the Aussie guy, of the women. 

I would pick any of them as a stripper before David Hernandez, personally.

Ace; yeah, like my wife would let me pick a stripper. 
Ring bells for service.

pat

Yeah, I found it. It's on the same time as Keith Olbermann which is probably why I have always missed the idol thing.

Maybe I could just find something on the internet that gives a rundown of the latest of what's happening on that idol show so I can keep up with this.

Mark H

Quote from: pat on March 06, 2008, 19:57 hrs
Yeah, I found it. It's on the same time as Keith Olbermann which is probably why I have always missed the idol thing.

Maybe I could just find something on the internet that gives a rundown of the latest of what's happening on that idol show so I can keep up with this.

How about this site?

Mark H

Ace

I'm so glad Omarosa got voted off finally; I was sick of her.  I can see why Piers hates her so.

Oh; hold it. That was the next show.  Ok, on Idol:  I'm good.  Irish chick and Aussie guy stay with it.  The Bride (of Frank) still looks oddly sheepish but hanging in there.  The High Talker and Danny went poof, and I'm ok with that.  Kady the Sneer (what happened to her chest; looked like a Kelly Pickler overnight enhancement...) and Asia'H (maternity outfit..?) departed.  I liked to watch Asia'H but her voice sounded like a muted horn to me.

Good choices as far as I'm concerned.  Paula could sit down and shut up.  If you watch her during the songs, you'd never guess she made a profession of dancing.  Maybe she'll try it With The Stars.

You know, after Mark Cuban and Marie Osmond thinned out for that maybe Dancing With Stars could be Dancing Biggest Losers, part 2.

Ace; Danny cried. I didn't. I bet my wife he'd go, so she had to make coffee.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

I don't know; he could be engaged to Piers Morgan from "Celebrity Apprentice", going by last night's episode...

I'd agree the talent level this year is more consistent and higher grade.  But would say Paula's repetitive "This is the first day in your professional career!  You're going to be great!  And famous!" is bunk, for most.  Geez Louise, I could figure some will have a career involving singing (on stage, or with bands) but not as a solo "pop star."  And they oughta have the decency to wait until they're famous to get sleazy and degenerate and turn all decadent.  When there's plenty of paparazzi around to capture the moment.  Like Anna Nicole Brittney Lohan. 

Ace; or pepperoni, around.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I understand that Simon announced on one of the daytime talk shows that Idol bought out his contract, essentially paying him more not to do next season than he would have made.  But, nothing is ever really set in stone in that business.  People come back for the 'dead' all the time!

Bill

Ace

Come back for the dead... what are they, hyenas?

You know, my dream and professional aspiration is for someone to pay me NOT to work.  Buy out my contract, and have a settlement.  Cut me loose, with pay.  Send me on a dang sabbatical.  I feel so s-s-s-s- dang can't say it sssorry for people who get fired, or put on hiatus WITH pay.  Heck, if I had a golden parachute, I'd bail out right now. 

With my luck, the parachute would be from Donald Trump and be actually made of gold, and send me plummeting to a weighty and depressing death.

Ace; in the depression.  Made by the parachute.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

THIS WEEK
I'm surprised no one picked "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" on Beatles week/Idol.  Or "#9".  Or "Happiness is a Warm Gun."  (Just for Scuzzy).

Ok, CountryChick needs to be banned for that bizarre rushed country-esque 4 Days A Week mess.  Maybe the Dixie Chicks could have pulled that off, but not her.  Archuleta made a mess of doing Stevie doing Beatles, and not as well as any of them.  David Hernandez was like a bad Marc Anthony impression (and I do not think Marc Anthony is good).  Aussie and Irish still rule, to me.  I liked the (rushed) Bride of Skunk song, although I couldn't understand her either (and I know the song).  Chikezie is safe, and entertaining.  What's her name the Phillipino girl was dull.  I do not much like Syesha no matter what. They're all sounding like her "Me and Mr/Mrs. Jones" MOR thing.  Rocking out on "Eleanor Rigby" was just stupid and phony, and I really can't figure why the judges thought that was cool. 

Oh; and Castro = Coffee House.  Brook was fine as always, but not like I ever need to hear "Let It Be" again, soon. That's my take. 

Ace; one of my favorite Beatle covers is Peter Gabriel's "Strawberry Fields" off "All This, And World War II."

Ring bells for service.

Mark H

I like Brooke and Carly the best. The one thing I don't like is the tattoo on Carly, because she is a pretty woman and it takes away from her looks.

I think Kristy is who should be cut, although I would not be heartbroke to see the male stripper get cut.

Mark H; addicted for another season after taking the last one off.

Ace

Kat was two years ago... wish she was still around.  Last year was Blake and She Who Shall Not Be Remembered (the "winner"). 

I agree that tattoos ruin the natural ambience.  I'm glad she stopped at the right arm (unlike her boyfriend, who did his face...) but appreciate her wearing long sleeves.  I was thinking of getting a tattoo... maybe "Born Too Loose" on one arm.

My theory: people who get those Japanese symbols are thinking they're getting something saying "Brave Warrior" but really it's saying "Chicken Head Doofus."

Really.  You know, I'm also thinking the "good natured barbs" between Simon and Ryan 1. aren't  2. should stop  They're just weird, and obtrusive.  And stupidly rude.  Nail the contestants for their indiscretions, and move it along. 

Ace; I'm sophomoric.
Ring bells for service.