• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, January 21, 2001, 03:54 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

Before you give up on it, it may be just the Canon software that won't work with Windows2000.  If it's a USB or SCSI device, it may work with another software package (CorelDraw, Word, WordPerfect, etc.) with a different TWAIN driver.

Karen

Hi Andreas,

I have a Canon scanner FB620U (USB) with Win98. It's very easy to use, produces a very good image and has an easy to use image editing software package.

Unfortunately, a while ago I picked up a computer virus from an Active X control on a web page and had to do a complete reformat/reinstall using Drive Image. Since that time I've had trouble reinstalling as windows isn't picking it up as a USB device. I have 2 USB ports on back of the ATX case...I think the prob is the ports aren't active.  

My project for the new year is to get the scanner back up and running.  Unfortunately, now I have a virus and just haven't felt up to tinkering around with it.

Anyhow, I've downloaded the lastest scangear twain driver and scangear toolbox from the Canon site in preparation for the day I give it another try.  

I noticed the Canon factory downloads site has updated scangear twain drivers and scangear toolbox for Win2000 for the FB620U and FB630U scanners. I didn't see any downloads at all for the FB640U. The FB640U isn't even mentioned anywhere that I can find on the Canon site.

You may want to try the Canon Win2000 downloads for either the FB620U or FB630U and see if they might work.  Here's the link:  http://128.11.41.160/techsupport/downloads/index.html

Let me know if you get it up and running.  Someday when I'm up to it, I just might need your help getting my scanner/usb ports working again.

Good luck!

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Andreas

Now that I have had a day to cool off, I see on my scanner that it is the FB620U scanner. I went to the Canon site and downloaded the file as you suggested. Windows 2000 found the driver and it appeared to install, but in the device manager, it is marked with an '!' and I cannot get it to work.

I tried to download the driver for ME just for kicks, but no change. In fact, on the site itself, I found the line right under the scanner driver which reads: 'CanoScan USB scanners do not work under Windows 95 or NT'.

Oh well. If anyone gets the scanner to work please let me know. Query, I did install the scanner support in MS Office 2000. It lists the scanner in the options when I try to scan, but continues to give me the error message that it cannot communicate with the scanner, no matter what I try. I tried to use the Twain driver from my HP 1100A, but that did not work either.

Edited by - andreas on Jan 21 2001  10:27:36 PM

Joanie

Hi Guys and Gals,

My scanner is Canon IX4015 and is at least 5 years old. A week or so ago I downloaded the new drivers "Scangear" for my new system running Windows ME. For a couple of days I searched for the icon to run the program using the Search at the Start button  to find it, with no success, After much frustration it dawned on me to read the "readme" file and there it was, "Scangear runs from within another program" like Adobe Deluxe or ULead and Publisher plus others I guess.

Another important item, you cannot have one file left in the system that partains to a previous Canon driver. It is important to uninstall everything from the older Scangear software.

The only product Canon manufactures that I think is worth anything is their Scanner. As old as this thing is it does an excellent scan and is fast, fast, fast.

A year or so ago I installed a scsi pci card for it and that made a big difference in the speed.

There is still the yellow question mark in Device Manager but that's OK because it works great and I can live with that.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Carol

My Dad's old scanner seemed to always have the yellow mark in device manager.  We finally figured out that as long as the scanner was turned of it was there, when the scanner was turned on it wasn't.

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Joanie

Hey Carol,

Just checked in Device Manager to see if per chance the yellow question mark for the scanner was gone. Since the scanner is on I thought maybe it would disappear like your Dads did but no such luck.

Thanks for the tip, it was worth a try.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Andreas

I went on the internet and found a New Canon FB640U CanoScan scanner for $6 bucks. I bought it and it arrived a while ago. I found out why it was only $6 bucks...The *#&$ thing only runs under Windows 98/ME!! I can't believe it!

Why does Canon sell new scanners that will not work with Win2000?!! Sure, I only spent $6, but I am so upset that someone would sell something and not make it work with Win2000.

I learn a lesson--read the fine print before you buy anything, cause if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

(Anyone want to buy a scanner?!)